Author Topic: Discovering a hunting underworld/subculture  (Read 30133 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Discovering a hunting underworld/subculture
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2010, 06:05:34 pm »

Eddie, apparently, you missed my post above....... ::)  That was I thought it was.  Some kind of Minah, or mix.  Sounds like I could get into the siesta thing down there.  Eat and sleep.  8)  Hmmmm, not a bad idea.......could be the local herbs........ ::)
Manny, try eating one and see what they taste like.  Could be a delicacy. ;)  Then again,it could be like fried buzzard. ;)  But I would think it would be tasty.  So try one, and let us know.  Try a couple.  One fried, one broiled. :)

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »
  Birds all taste the same. If they fly, it's Red meat, like dove. If they stay on the ground and run, it's like quail, or turkey, white meat in the breast, IT's all the same.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2010, 08:30:39 am »
  Birds all taste the same. If they fly, it's Red meat, like dove. If they stay on the ground and run, it's like quail, or turkey, white meat in the breast, IT's all the same.

i agree. when i was a kid i hunted and ate ever bird i could find. really liked bluejay and cane thrasher or whatever the heck you call them lol.
lets just shoot it

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »
Well talked about it with fellow Kiwis, on a airgunning forum, ( they kill lots of Mynahs down there)....the consensus is that the bird isn't good to eat, ...I'm sticking to my delicious Doves and Chickens  ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »
 Everything is good, wrapped in Bacon. ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2010, 08:39:47 pm »
Everything is good, wrapped in Bacon. ;D
Or fried in butter.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2010, 09:12:41 pm »
One guy had a nice recepy, all kinds of chopped veggies, chopped bacon, simmer for a wile, make sure you ad an ax handle to the pot, .......when everything is cooked throw the bird away and eat the ax handle  ;)
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline stickbender

« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2010, 01:20:13 am »

Nomad, that recipie is the same for Mudfish here (Bowfin). ;D  Except you cook it on a cedar plank. ;)

Wayne

Offline NOMADIC PIRATE

« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2010, 05:59:42 am »

Nomad, that recipie is the same for Mudfish here (Bowfin). ;D  Except you cook it on a cedar plank. ;)

Wayne

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
NORTH SHORE, HAWAII

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2010, 04:36:21 pm »
 The only thing, Wayne, is Bowfin cleaned and iced down as soon as you catch them taste like Flounder when cooked.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2010, 05:28:43 pm »

Well there you go, I learned something today. ;)  I am going to have hang around you more often...... 8)  I guess it is like gar, I never would have thought of eating one, till I talked to people that said that they are delicious.  The slime on them stinks.  The same with Mud fish.  Nasty looking critters, with all those nasty little teeth, and it's prehistoric appearance.  Well if I ever catch another one, I will have to try that.  I have not even seen one since I was a little kid. 

Wayne

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2010, 06:23:44 pm »
Yep...Gar and Bowfin are good as Patties...and like Eddie said...catch en...kill em...fillet em...Ice em or freeze em...and they eat great...you can make Stew....Fillets.... Patties...Balls...or my Favorite...beer batter Fried...if you are going to make Patties out of it...take the meat...and drag a Spoon across it to scrape all of the Meat off of the Connective Tissues first...this makes for some really tender Meat for either Patties or Balls....try it......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2010, 11:05:47 pm »
One sure fire way to make you want to eat a mudfish it to lip it when you remove the hook.  Then you'll want pay back!  ;)

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.