Author Topic: Compressing Shafts.  (Read 18881 times)

Offline stickbender

Re: Compressing Shafts.
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 07:40:34 pm »

Yeah, El D, I think I will heat up the left over field peas, and maybe even make some corn bread to go with them, and have a beer, to kill off the damaged brain cells, that were actually trying to follow that stuff.  I didn't know "Werner (Verner) Von Braun" was into primitive archery...... ;D  See ya in the Ooga Booga section El D. 8)
                                                                       Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »
 I'm buying some tapered carbons from Chad at the Classic.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2010, 08:58:55 pm »
Boy, I'm sure glad I'm soooooooo simple minded  ;D. ART

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:39 pm »
The compression block from 3rivers needs to be heated with a torch before used. Oogabooga mike =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 12:33:18 am »
Well I have been spouting all this theory, what about someone with the block actually telling us what happens, there must be someone out there with one.

To those I have given headaches I apologise most profusely, I would recommend a few decent beers, (not of course that you yanks have any decent beers  ;D.)

Craig

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 03:10:58 am »
                                    This Ole Yank......drinks W.L.Weller....107 proof Suthin Mash Whiskey...
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2010, 10:17:49 pm »
 Art, You know what I mean ;D
Lakeland, Florida

Offline agd68

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 11:25:32 am »
I would really like to hear from anyone who has actually done this. I wont say you science guys are wrong but I just cant wrap my caveman brain around the theory that if you take X amount of material and compress it to a smaller diameter ,without removing any material ,that it can get weaker. ???
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 12:11:47 pm »
been done. you lose 5lbs of spine. block needs to be heated with a torch and then the shaft is pressed through with a drill.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline artcher1

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 12:29:52 pm »
Learn it first hand from burnishing shafts and checking on my tester...........ART

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 04:32:26 pm »
Tested the idea on several types of wood. I was trying to understand the dynamics of bending wood, not building arrows.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Diligence

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2010, 05:00:34 pm »
I wonder if an 11/32 shaft which has been reduced with the burnishing tool to 5/16 has a larger spine than a 5/16, non-burnished shaft?  (ie. measure of spine differences as a result of burnishing and compressing, rather than spine losses from the smaller diameter).

I would guess that the spine is higher for the burnished 5/16 shaft, as compared to the non-burnished 5/16 shaft. (of the same shaft material)

anybody?

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2010, 06:19:25 pm »
Diligence,

I wonder if an 11/32 shaft which has been reduced with the burnishing tool to 5/16 has a larger spine than a 5/16, non-burnished shaft?  (ie. measure of spine differences as a result of burnishing and compressing, rather than spine losses from the smaller diameter).

Given the differences in spine between different pieces of wood I doubt that you could get a definitive answer to the question unless a large number of tests were done and you would have to start with pairs of 11/32 shafts of equal spine, reduce one by use of the swage, the other by say a plane. You would also have to prove that mereley reducing the diameter of a pair of shafts that began at the same spine produces smaller diameter shafts of the same spine.

Craig

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2010, 09:04:02 pm »
 To keep it simple, thin bends easier than thick, Nootons Law of Compression.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2010, 09:15:44 pm »
I like fig Newtons.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.