Author Topic: any one like bluegrass or moutain music  (Read 10376 times)

Offline Blacktail

any one like bluegrass or moutain music
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:35:24 pm »
i love bluegrass and one of my favorite songs is Dooley by the Dillard's...i do have others that i like...so,what is some of your favorates..john

Offline sonny

Re: any one like bluegrass or moutain music
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:52:58 pm »
Alison Krauss and Union Station do a great version of Cluck Old Hen on an album called Restless.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:19:05 pm »
I love Bluegrass...and Heavy Metal...what a combination......... ::)...I love Union Station.... Bill Monroe...the Dillards (remember them on the Andy Griffith Show...they were the Darling Brothers...).......hell even the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band did a good job at Bluegrass....when they wanted too! And Ricky Skaggs and Flats and Scruggs...man ...I got to go ...and listen to the Soggy Bottom Boys..... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
YES SIR,now were talkin...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 02:38:44 pm »
I live in bluegrass and old time music country. I like all music. Bluegrass is only one one of them.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 06:30:22 pm »
I grew up in the heart of bluegrass country, my dad was a bluegrass musician. He played some with Don Reno, who was from near here. I've been playing bluegrass and all other sorts of music all my life. I've jammed with some fairly well-known pickers. Some of my favorite bluegrass pickers/singers are Tony Rice, Ralph Stanley, Doc Watson, old Flatt and Scruggs, old Newgrass Revival. There are a lot of good local bluegrass bands and pickers around here, some well-known nationally, and some great pickers who never play out in public.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 06:47:57 pm »
  MY  POP  is  from  cripple creek  VA.  didn't  know  there  was  other  music till  I  was  11!!!!!!  boy  did you  know  that  Charlie  Louvan  has  another  cd out  we  got  a  bunch  of  pickers  in  NEW YORK  !  remember  when  they  used to  put  Jerry DOUGLAS  up  on  that barrel  with  his  overhalls  on  backwards  and  him  and  ROY Clark  would pick away ON  hee Haw

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 07:53:40 pm »
lol i remember that hee haw was great lol
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:53:53 pm »
  The only REAL country music.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 08:06:59 pm »
aint that right....it's the Only Country that I will listen to...love Bluegrass.....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:15:11 pm »
  I am like pat I have diverse list of types of music, that I like.  From Classical, South American guitar, Flute music, harp music, hard acid rock, blues, and Blue Grass, and country.  I prefer instrumental Blue grass, but some vocals are good also, but I am definitely with Eddie on the Country.  The old "Real" country music.  Kitty Wells, Hank Snow, Jimmy Rodgers, Doc Watson, Patsy Kline, The Carters, Bill Monroe,etc.  And the same goes for Country Western, Tex Ritter, and the Sons of the Pioneers, etc. I don't bother listening to the modern versions of it.  Very few performers that interest me.  Most of them just try to sound as Southern as they can, and moan while singing, and call it country.  Nah.  I will stick to real stuff.  Sort of like choosing between Real Butter, or the plastic stuff.  :P

Wayne

Grunt

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 08:37:34 pm »
I've got 1652 songs on my ipod. Rock for my workout at the gym, classic old time 40's, 50's and 60' black blues, Coltrane and Davis 60' jazz and opera for working in my studio and the rest of the time. I like all kinds as long as it is quality and I like it loud. Bela Fleck, Doc, and Sam Bush are right up there too.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:47:53 pm »
yep i grew up with blue grass music my grandpaw and uncle played i was taught to play guitar playing bluegrass i like to play blues and old country  and southern rock .
bryan irwin

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 10:05:28 pm »

I really like the Swing era music, and the thirties, and early forties jazz, but I can't stand the modern jazz.  To me it is like dragging a file across your teeth...... :o  Bela is quite the talented man.  I met him at the Tennessee Banjo institute in Lebanon Tenn.  Back in 94 I believe it was.  Met Grand pa Jones, and Snider, and Eric Weisberg, and a young phenomenal musician named Cody Kilby.  He was a whiz on the Banjo, and why not, he was taught by Scruggs, and he was also a whiz on the guitar, and mandolin.  Some great musicians there.    I grew up listening to the real country, and western music.  My uncle used to sing and play the guitar, at family get to- gethers.  To this day, I can still hear him singing "Cool Clear water".  He was good.

Wayne

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 10:30:33 am »
Bluegrass kicks #ss,we go to a few shows here and there.The local bluegrass folks play monthly so you get to see the local talent which goes from not to good to great.Ronda Vincent played at a local fair last month, always a good show.like the traditional like Bill Monroe,Stanly Bros,Flatt and Scruggs,chubby Wise,Lewis Family,Doc W. and the newer ones too .Been tearing a hole in the Steeldrivers CD.I listen to WDVX Knoxville on the computer every AM 6-9 good Bluegrass and gospel on Sun.
Bone pile
Venice Florida