Author Topic: Too big,too small,new pics from today's hunt  (Read 4452 times)

Offline PeteC

Too big,too small,new pics from today's hunt
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:29:27 pm »
Finally got a nice day to go huntin' yesterday,so,with my wife down with a cold,and my daughter and son in law on 10 day trip to Italy,I decided to go pig huntin'. The Sabine river is back in it's banks,so I tried the 5700 acre WMA in Smith co. Texas. I took my canoe 6 miles downstream,found a favorite spot,and started lookin'.I came across a lone boar right off the bat,but I guessed him to be in the 250# range,so passed on him. I covered 3 miles before dinner time seeing no more pigs.There were a lot of mallards in the sloughs,and they're all paired up now,also ,the red maples are beginning to bud. After eatin' a bite,I headed the opposite direction.Not 200 yards out I came across a big bunch bedded in the cane.I got within 10 yards of no less than 6 pigs,but the cane was so thick,I could'nt get a shot.They knew I was around at this point and started moving.I went with them,but not knowing the slough made a hairpin turn,forced them to the point.I heard them hittin' the water from a 4' drop,so I ran on through hoping to catch one swimming,but by the time I got to the edge they were 40 yards away and movin' fast. After this I headed another direction.About 1:00 I found another thick stand of cane and started easing through it,as quiet as one can through dry leaves and palmetto fronds.I heard something move in front of me and saw 3 little 10# pigs in front of a fallen tree.As Il looked hard for larger animals ,I felt the wind swirl and hit me in the back of my neck.Then the big sow stood up on the other side of the tree.She hurriedly moved off with the little ones in tow ,I finished huntin' the cane thicket,but that was all that was there.I had decided to leave by 2:00,and being a mile from the canoe,decided to head back. No shots today,but another great hunt,beautiful weather,and lots of wildlife.Hopefully my wife will feel like going tuesday,and we'll try again.Just thought I'd share. Good huntin', and God Bless
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:44:55 pm by PeteC »
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Too big,too small
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:52:36 pm »
right on man. very cool hunt with a canoe. good luck
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:45:04 pm »
Nice hunt Pete. Except for the meat sounded like a successful day.  Also, glad to know spring is on the way. Our weather comes from the South and South West.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 03:08:51 pm »
You went through all that cane and did not cut any arrows????...LOL.  sounds like a nice hunt.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 04:35:02 pm »
Charlie, that is where an empty back quiver and a set of hand pruners comes in handy. ;D By the time you go home you have enough shafting to keep you busy until the next hunt.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 05:11:03 pm »
 Sound'slike a fun hunt Pete, thanks for the story.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:08:48 pm »
String stretcher,I have no shortage of cane where I live,and I usually get it on a non-hunting trip.I've got a bunch in my shop,dried and ready, and a full quiver of arrows.I usually don't start thinkin' about cane until my quiver starts feelin' light. ;) God Bless

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 10:44:13 am »
Nice story,thanks for sharing . :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 01:46:26 pm »
Awesome story, Pete sounds like a great time.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 10:30:06 am »
sounds like an awsome time. i want to go try for pigs some day.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 09:04:42 pm »
My wife went with me today.We had a good time,the weather was great,river still up,and after an inch of rain yesterday,every thing is wet.We had a couple of  encounters ,but the only pigs I had open were 10# babies.My wife had a spotted sow with 8 pigs wind her,and threatened a little by growlin' and coming up within 20 yards of her.My wife,Barbara,was holdin' her ground,and I thought she might shoot,but, she told me after it was over  she was shakin' pretty good and uncomfortable with the face on shot.She made the right choice.I wish I could of gotten a picture of her and the sow in their little stand-off, ;D.  I also saw a nice buck out there today ,16"-18",still hangin' on to the antlers .If the weather holds out we'll try again saturday. God Bless

Offline PeteC

Re: Too big,too small,with a few pics from today's hunt
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 10:43:01 pm »
Here's a few from our pig hunt today.We only saw one pig today,and no shot,but plenty else.Mallards,woodies,an eagle,a couple of deer,many species of birds.Another nice day,my wife and I walked about 7 miles. The pics are,1 & 2,huntin' the palmetto.3 &4 ,see the deer? 5.Just crossed beaver dam on slough.6.Green tree frog

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:47:20 pm by PeteC »

Offline huntertrapper

Re: Too big,too small,new pics from today's hunt
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:45:04 pm »
Very kewl. thats a awesome frog, some tough country down there.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 10:22:06 am »
cool pics Pete, where you from? looks like down here. im in louisiana
lets just shoot it

Offline PeteC

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 10:27:18 pm »
Recurve,I live in Smith county ,east Texas,sabine river bottoms. God Bless