Author Topic: Saskatoon bow. Done!  (Read 12150 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Saskatoon bow. Done!
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:38:55 pm »
I hemmed and hawed the whole time I was making this bow as to the name.  I like wordplay, so it was tough.  There is a city in Saskatchewan called Saskatoon, the same as the berry.  The folks from the area, like adb for example, sometimes refer to the city as "S'toon."  So finally I settled on "The Stooner"  because it's silly, even if the name implies something about me that isn't so.  The Stooner is 65 1/2 N2N, drawing 42#@30".  She's a D bow (sorta) with lots of dips and swerves.  Flat belly, less than an inch wide at the handle.  Started out with an inch of deflex on account of the roller coaster, and has taken only 1 inch of set on top of that.  I rawhided (dog treat) the top of the crown, heat treated the belly.  Used some flexible dollar-store cork coasters to build up a nice handle and wrapped it with leather secured with strategic dabs of super glue.  The arrow shelf is a bit of left-over chokecherry.  I stained the belly purple with saskatoon herbal tea.  "Prettied" her up with some yellow perch skins, and painted borders around the skins with acrylic artists' paint.  The antler overlays are from a buck I shot (with a gun, oh the shame) several years ago.  The lower tip has a second nock for stringing purposes.  Spar varnish over the works.  Pictures.  Don't look too close at that tiller!!!

If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline gmc

Re: Saskatoon bow. Done!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 04:57:02 pm »
Very unique look to that bow. Nice job. 

Central Kentucky

Offline kerryb

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 05:21:35 pm »
cool bow , congrats
Milan Mo

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 05:51:02 pm »
 Cool bow, bet that dip in the lower limb was a challenge. Look's like the wife was relaxed when she took that picture ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 05:53:57 pm »
very fishy,very nice ;D 8)

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 06:34:17 pm »
Wow, I like it, really a narly bow.
VB

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 08:26:03 pm »
Woah, that is a freaky bow... awesome, but freaky. What a mind for the creative.  :o
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:28:20 pm »
Nice job on a tough piece.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline Aries

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 12:45:49 am »
Sweet bow. i think thats the first time ive seen perch skins on one lol. when i first glanced at the picture it looked like leaves on a bamboo pole ;D looks neat, what type of wood is it??  Ty
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

VenomBOWslinger

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 12:52:14 am »
See this is what I like to do and see myself! Unique and out of the ordinary.  Great bow and design!!!

CHEERS,
Russ

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:27:40 am »
Thanks very much for the comments guys! 

Mullet, I promised my wife I was going to crop her foot out of the picture.  Oops!  The dip in the lower limb had me worried, it's really hard to see how much movement the kink has, and the little dive before it looks hinged the the paranoid mind even at brace! ... So I just left the whole section a little thick, never did figure out if that area is doing too much work or any work at all.

Aries, I wanted to use fish skins, but all I had in the freezer was perch.  I thought, "I can't use perch!  That would be ridiculous!"  That's when I decided to use the perch.  I wanted to eat them anyways, they're delicious!  Oh, and saskatoon is a regional variant of serviceberry.  I highly recommend it, but this is my first shooter, so take that for what it's worth!  But I think the numbers speak for the wood quite well:  Over 40# on a 1" stick and holding only 1" of set on a 30" draw.  I think I could have gotten 50# if I wasn't so chicken about piking it.

gmc, kerryb, mich, VB, Okie, Prof, and VBS:  Unique, freaky, gnarly, cool, and fishy is EXACTLY what I was going for!  Thanks for the kind words.
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 01:53:02 am »
don't forget trippy, very trippy bow!

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 11:43:20 am »
Nice bow, tiller looks pretty good all things considered, so how were the perch? :)
I have a service berry half done, I need to get the tips to line up so I can tiller it
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 11:56:03 am »
Good job on a challenging piece of wood.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 12:45:47 pm »
Awesome bow Zen!  ...Is this the same bow I watched the video on where you were shooting it in the hallway and you said "dont nobody tell my wife about this"  ?  Great work, very original finish work I like it alot!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln