Author Topic: shaping axe question  (Read 6935 times)

Offline CraigMBeckett

Re: shaping axe question
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2010, 09:02:44 pm »
I have always understood that an axe with a single bevel is known as a side axe, they come in left or right handed, you can/could get them with offset handles so that the hand did not get in the way.

Craig

Offline goearnhardt

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04:22 pm »
I could never find any use for a axe in bow makin,,anything that can be done with a axe I can do easier and better with a drawknife,,hard to be very accurate with an axe but thats just me..

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11:41 pm »
 Craig, I thought the same till a shingle maker showed me how to put a removable wooden wedge in and just switch the head. I really like mine when I'm chasing the grain down the length of the stave and shaping the bow. It seems to just follow the grain.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2010, 10:47:46 pm »
I'm a little like Craig.  I've used a shaping axe on the sides of the bow's limbs, but never on the sapwood or belly of osage.  I had one loaned to me but had to give it back when we moved.  I may have to go pick one up.  I wish I'd thought to try it on sapwood when I had it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 10:50:02 pm »
Mullet,

Craig, I thought the same till a shingle maker showed me how to put a removable wooden wedge in and just switch the head. I really like mine when I'm chasing the grain down the length of the stave and shaping the bow. It seems to just follow the grain.

I'm confused  ??? but that's a regular occurrence these days.

Coming from a woodworking (for fun) background, I always understood you used the side axe with the flat side to the opposite side that the hand using it. That is if you are right handed when you hold a side axe the flat side is to the left when the blade is pointed away from you, putting a wedge in and turning the blade around would still leave the blade the wrong way around with the bevel to the wood when a right handed one is used left handed. Am I missing something.

Craig

Offline riarcher

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 02:02:10 am »
Nope bevel is away from wood. Sos on a rite handed person bevel is on right, the flat is on left against the wood. Corn-fuzzed yet ? ;D

Actually,,,, YES.  :D
I'm left handed, work on the left side of wood. So, when I swing to cut with stave on right side of hatchet, I'd want flat on right, bevel on left. (I think)
The one in your last picture is left handed...... Correct?

Errr,,, Who's on first?  :o ;D
From the Stripercoast of Rhode Island

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 02:10:05 am »
Craig, he is talking about putting the handle in so it sticks out the other side of the head, it will change the direction of the bevel. I was always taught that the flat edge went toward the wood, this allows you to keep shaving wood off. I have seen it done both ways though. If the bevel is toward the wood it forces the cutting edge out of the wood so long cuts cant be made. It is just like the bevel on a draw knife. And I have seen them used both ways also.

riarcher, you have it figured out. The second one appears to be a lefty, but I'm not sure it isn't sharpened on both sides since it is a custom built axe.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 02:26:35 am »
Thanks Justin. I said I was confused, should have said easily confused  ;D

Craig.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 06:49:08 am »
I don't think it matters at all, as long as it's good steel and sharp enough to sharpen your pencil with.
I was given mine as a present many years ago, but the handle cracked so I made a 'hand and a half' handle which allows me to use it for heavier work too...
Mind I may need a lighter one now as I have a sore elbow (Aw pooor kitty :( )
del
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 01:06:04 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 10:38:59 am »
the axe in question is what they call a broad hatchet where i come from(hart county, kentucky).  extremely useful tool.  i am trying to find one reasonbly priced myself.  those things can be expensive.

Offline John K

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2010, 02:38:02 pm »
I have both a right and left handed ones, good tools !
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 06:39:09 pm »
I use a Gransfors Bruks small carpenter's axe (model 465) for removing bulk wood.  A low angled and scary sharp blade (could probably shave with it) and only 1 and half pounds to the head make for easy working in dry wood with either hand.  If I need to remove more wood than that I'll use a power saw or wedges  ;D
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline wildman

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2010, 12:14:08 am »
I built my own cabin ,used one every day ,we call them broad axes I find alot of them in antique stores fairly reasonable for the size you would be looking for, the really large ones fetch around $100 or higher  I found a three pounder for $25 works great.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

DCM4

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2010, 11:46:03 am »
I use a Gransfor carving ax.  It's one sided bevel.  Works great for roughing in a green stave.

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2010, 11:49:12 am »
also called a "broad hatchet".
45# at 27"