Author Topic: Cumberland Cache  (Read 6786 times)

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
Cumberland Cache
« on: March 01, 2010, 12:25:43 am »
 I finlay figured it out! I've wanted to make one of these for years and once i figured it out i did not stop. i knapped some Friday and Saturday and all day today, i must have broke 5 or 6 bu these all made it!!
 From back to front, Flint river , KY blue , horse creek , TN creek chert , Black Dover. All points have flutes on both sides and the KY blue and dover are fluted to the tip on both sides.
 For close ups of each point and to see the other sides go to my page on flintknappers.com

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 04:34:50 pm by Justin Snyder »
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Cumberland Cache
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:34:45 am »
Dang Jesse :o! That's some really beautiful work there and tricky. I've never tried one. So how do you do that??
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:58:51 am »
DAMN BOY  :o

thats impressive work right there i tell you what 8)

man that ky. blue one is saweeeeet,they are all awesome but that one takes the cake right there

did you flute by percussion or jig?
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:49:58 am »
Yep! Just what I expected!   Do you even remember seeing Abby Sunday ::)
 Very nice, my friend...Very nice ;)  Love that Ky blue.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 04:40:27 am »
that is fantastic jesse. fluting is what i have been working on lately. im not breaking them, but i just cant figure out when to flute. i keep loosing the flute when i do the cleanup work. need to figure out at what point to run em. again that is some incredible work jesse
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:42:21 am »
Awesome points Jesse :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Timo

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:46:52 am »
Shannon filled me in on your "excitement" Jesse! Told me that you where like a kid in a candy store with this fluting. ;D

Good for you , them look nice!

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:01 am »
Thanks guys.
 Yes Tim I'm using a Jig but the paleo people that made these points used some sorta presher defice for fluting, its the only way to get them to the tip.
Cowboy, its all about the cross section its got to be a diamond shape and flawless no steps no high spots or low spots. i spent about 15 or 20 mins doing paleo flaking on both faces of the point  just to achieve that flawless diamond cross section.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 09:01:22 am »
i was running into trouble with the flutes because i was getting the pieces too flat. started leaving em thicker and now im loosing the flutes when i clean the piece up. gotta find the middle ground.  >:( been staring at these all morning trying to figure out some of the tricks.  ;D
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 09:40:26 am »
Here are two photos of a KY blue cumberland unfinished before and after the 1st flut. notice the cross section before the flut.

Mililani Hawaii

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41:46 am »
note. this is not the KY cumberland in the photo. this one broke on the 2nd flut because my nipple was to strong.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 09:52:26 am »
Maybe this will be of some help.  It's a real Cumberland that broke while fluting.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 09:59:32 am »
Jesse:  Some truly beautiful points and some break thru technique.  I really like the K/blue!  I have a Solberger gig packed away somewhere from the old days and if I can find it I will bring it to the Classic.  Guess we will have to start calling you "Young Solly"!   :) :)  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 10:04:51 am »
thanks Joe  ;)
 Shanon thats a cool point. yes i see the over shoot from the 2nd flut and the fact that the flut went past the spot it over shot is a dead give away that a presher device was used to flut it. But you can see the diamond cross section on both sides of that.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 10:16:40 am »
That's exactly the broke point I was thinking about Shannon when I looked at these Cumberlands. I knew you were there in TN this weekend and thought there might have been a connection. Looks like Jesse already had it all figured out though. Man them things are amazing!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.