Author Topic: Pondering  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Kegan

Pondering
« on: March 01, 2010, 02:38:00 pm »
I was thinking about this while shovelling snow the other day. It seems that with everything out there anymore, archery seems pretty divided. I mean, compounds make it so any Joe could go in, buy a wheelie bow, and wlak out ready to bring home Bambi. Now, with most of our local stores, and my father's Game News Magazine catering to compound shooters, I've read a number of articles in my idle time on them. Seems alot of my beliefs were misconceptions!

The general concensus, short of Western antelope and mule deer, is that though 40 yards is possible, 20-30 is better. That though picking up a compound and taking it that week to hunt is possible, it's discouraged. And of course, lastly: things still go wrong!

Which brings me to my next revelation: fiberglass traditional bows. I have to say, I was under many of the same assumptions as I was with compounds, with them being easier to shoot and all that good stuff. After reading through a few Traditional Bowhunter Magazines, as well as articles here and there, it seems that the only difference between their hunting, and "primitive hunting", is at most a 5 yard difference, on average, of comfortable shooting distance. If that!

So I was thinking, it seems that bowhunting is slowly turning into much the same for everyone, regardless of gear choice. Get close enough, within your comfortable range, to put an arrow through your quarry. Beyond that, it all seems to be a matter of personal opinion (or occasionally ego :D) that dictates your "style."

Which made me wonder if that's how it was c3enturies before. One triebe or people using a certain style of bow to accomplish the same thing as another, basing their selection or means off of their persoanl limitations or available resources. I got into primitive archery because there was a draw to the simplicity of the longbow, but went from "trad" to "primitive" because though I couldn't afford to keep buying and playing with different styles. I continue to do it now because the "cost of performance" is so low, or neglible, that I'd see it as a waste. But I'm quite aware that some people don't have the skill or desire to build their longbows or recurves, just as I'm aware some people very much want to hunt but don't have the time to deveote to becoming competant with barebow shooting. I think thats seen more so in how archers drift from one style of equipement to another, or use multiple types: jsut developing their own "style."

Seems modern thinking has put us all under the canopy of "bowhunters" and ethics seems to shrink the differences anymore (hey, PETA contributed something POSTIIVE to hunting :D). But, that's jsut what I was thinking. Thoughts?

Offline cracker

Re: Pondering
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 03:28:54 pm »
O.K now I gotta go to the store for pop corn.
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:00:22 pm »
When I shot compounds it seems like every time I turned around I was looking for something else to stick on my bow or arrows and was hung up into buying the most up to date camo, tree stands and other hunting gear. Then I began looking for simpler. I bought a recurve but still had to buy a bow quiver and more camo and another tree stand. Then I went to a longbow and used the same bow quiver and arrows as well as the old camo and tree stands. When I began to make wood bows it was to get as simple as possible and still be effective as an ethical hunter. I don't like bow quivers on selfbows so my bow quiver became a GFA style over the shoulder quiver, instead of cedar or ash arrows I went to sourwood, viburnum or cane arrows I cut and built myself. My points are mostly trades or stone made by friends. My hunting range is the same as it was with compounds, recurve or longbow, out to about 25 yards with most shots at 10 to 15 yards. Still using the same camo but am mixing in plaids and drab colored cloths. Still using the same tree stands I bought 25 years ago but am trying to stay on the ground more and today I don't have to kill anything to enjoy a hunt. It is nice but not necessary.
  Kegan, I rarely shovel snow either. Too much time for thinking!   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:51:27 pm »
Thanks for the input Pat :)

I think what you said perfectly exemplifies what I was trying to get at: it's all archery, and there's such a broad range we can pick and choose to suit our style. My good friend Art has a compound, longbow, and makes his own selfbows. As a hunter and person he's as good a person as you can find.

Just like all hobbies there are those who like to buy, those who like to play, and those who like to try and make. There's alot out there to just have fun with, and I didn't think I realized that before because of the sometimes subtle prejudices- like my own!

I was on another archery forum and someone brought something up, and it made me realize that if you shot your recurve and compound the same way, shooting your compound once in a while would be just like shooting a lighter weight bow for form practice- I never would have thought of that before.

I love building and shooting wooden bows. The reasons aren't as important because it's just a personal thing, like shooting a recurve, a compound, or what have you. In the end who a person is, I guess, is just more important than what they shoot, especially in the world of bowhunting. These days bowhunting is just bowhunting, the gap and difference is shrinking and it's getting easier to realize it's all just what makes you happy :)

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:43:35 pm »
Color me persnickity, but if I'm going to get into mechanization, I'm going to use a firearm. That's why I don't shoot compounds. I just don't like having to diddle around with things like that. When I'd go to the range, it seemed the compound guys spent more time tinkering with their bows than shooting them. Just not into bows I need a toolbox to service.

That said, I'm the same way about firearms. I prefer stock-as-issued Mosin Nagant M91/30s and SMLEs. Iron sights and in the same configuration they were issued in. Nothing can go seriously wrong with these weapons. The SMLEs I have, a few went through both world wars and then some. The Mosins went through a world war. They're not going to disappoint me. I have a Remington 870 Express 12 gauge I took apart and slicked up into a Poor Man's Wingmaster.

Don't get me wrong, I like to tinker with things. But not constantly. I like to see an end at which I can rest, grunt aloud, and state "It is good!"
Living a dream...

Offline agd68

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 01:49:59 pm »
I"M in agreement with Tsalaqi, I have tried a compound a couple of times but they never felt right in my hand,cold and mechanical, no soul. Too many Goo-gahs and doodads to mess around with all the time. I've shot a Bear Montana Long bow for years and I recently got my first Primitive bow. I love em both. To me the feel of a well balanced wooden bow in the hand just seems sorta natural. Though I tease the wheelie guys at the range about graduating to a "big boy bow," I really feel to each their own. Crossbows are starting to creep in up here and they got the nest riled up let me tell you. By the way Tasalqi, good choice in guns. Both tough as pig iron.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:50 am »
Tsalagi, i agree. i have several bows, some trad, two primitive, and all were given to me. out of my .308 simi auto and my old winchester modle 94 30-30, i use the old lever action. out of my new 870 express and my 50 dollar 16guage crackbarrel, (named it old ugly for obvious reasons) u use the crack barrel. i like light, simple, reliable weapons and gear.

i shoot my glass bows right now, just because i am more comfortable with them, but im learning to make my own arrows, and slowly truning to my osage/hickory rather than my pearson. all a matter of personal choice. if you want to dump countless dollars and hours in to your gear for a little extra range or power, be my  guest. but if a feller is a good hunter, only the bare minimun is nessicary.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:32:28 am by recurve shooter »
lets just shoot it

Offline Parnell

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 12:06:38 pm »
Personal preference.  My basic interest springs out of a true hobby and tying in food and culture and tradition.  I think the incredible hold making the gear has over me is that it takes on so much more - becomes a lifestyle.  I've got nothing against other forms of hunting, though.  To me it's more important that people are trying to have a better grip on what food is and where it comes from than to discourage the need to constantly purchase.  Nothing wrong with purchasing - thats what drives the economy.  I tend to think though, that people need some sort of craft - an outlet for creativity to pursue happiness.  I think without some form of creative outlet people suffer for it.  To me, the idea of using the natural world and local materials to harvest game is the pinnacle of ethics.  I believe in ethical hunting.  It maintains a natural balance.  Conservation is needed and hunters play a very critical role. 

My wife is going to sew me a shirt - voyageur's pattern.  Maybe some other things in the future.  She wouldn't be able to hunt unless forced for survival, but understands it's importance.  Her taking interest in the things I make and wanting to contribute through her own hobbies is something that creates a tie for us and she understands that the time I spend making all these things is time well spent and beats a lot of much more poor outlets I could be doing otherwise.  I've been meeting some really outstanding people through this pursuit, also.  People that I'm developing friendships with.  It seems sometimes that it's hard to cultivate new friendships as I get a bit older and pursuing flintknapping, bowmaking, and the hunt has helped counter-act that.  I dream of a day in the future that I can live, more or less, 'off the grid'.  All the things I'm learning through this reinforces what I want in life.

These are things that bring balance into my personal life.  That's why I find I'm so passionate about it.  I wouldn't be getting anywhere even remotely close to as rich an  experience if I had gone out and bought my gear at a superstore.  Plain and simple, for me.
1’—>1’

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 12:19:12 pm »
I've found that many of the compound bow hunters are much more "results" driven than the primitive hunters who seem to be more "process" driven.  That is of course a blanket statement and not true for all.  I have met compound hunters that could care less if they ever harvested another deer, and primitive archers that only have fun if they have meat on the table.  But the average seems to follow the trend of meat towards process as you more towards primitive gear.  Traditional hunters seem to be more toward process, but not as much as primitive.  Just like more people seem to want to make their own stuff as they move toward primitive (like PatB said).  I see the same apply to fishing, bait vs. artificial vs. fly.  Again I know bait guys that throw everything back and are REALLY careful with the fish,  I also know fly guys that fill the cooler till it pops.  I really admire the precision and engineering of a compound, I also value the skill it takes to catch and fish live bait.  However, I'd much rather shoot a bow I've made, and throw a fly I've tied.  Personal choice.  I'm not saying that making meat is bad (not at all in fact  :) ) or that it should just be about the process.  Frankly as long as there is respect for the game and the hunt, could care less what people want to use.  I just get torqued when a lack of respect and ethics is shown (and often encouraged).  Just my opinion.

BTW I find more compound hunters that will take a 60 yd shot than not, at least around here.  So I'm not sure I can agree that the compound guys want to get closer.  Might be different elsewhere.

Cracker, got enough popcorn to share?  ;D

Swamp

From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.