Author Topic: Been awile since I've been on here  (Read 4351 times)

vtclimber

Been awile since I've been on here
« on: March 03, 2010, 09:42:12 am »
Seems like work got in the way, but with the economy the way it is I ain't gonna complain! I hope everyone is well. Figured I would post some pics of my latest endeavors down in the mountains of SW Va. Hope ya'll enjoy!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Parnell

Re: Been awile since I've been on here
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 10:20:40 am »
What a beautiful animal.  I've always been fascinated by raptors and would like to get involved in something like that in the future.  I know Swampbow has a friend down here that works with raptors as well.  Maybe you want to drop him a note?  Awesome pictures, thanks for sharing.
1’—>1’

vtclimber

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 10:25:32 am »
Thanks Parnell. I think that the goldens are just incredible. No one ever really sees them on the east coast. They are kind of like the ghosts of the forest. I'll drop swampbow a message later today. I am definitely interested in meeting other folks that work with these magnificent animals.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »
Wow, I was gonna ask about that Golden being in the east like that!  Drop dead beauty.  Got some serious weapons! I've heard of them taking deer?  Wish we had them down here.  Thanks for the intro Parnell.  I do have to clarify I'm a complete layman.  I probably know enough to help a trapped bird in a pinch without getting the bird or me hurt, but that is it and I don't want to test that.  :)  One of my wife coworkers is a master falconer, and I've yaked with him a bunch and gone trapping with him.  It's something I'd love to do, but I know I don't have the time to devote and do it right.  I'll probably learn all I can, but I really can't keep a bird since I'm gone for weeks a couple of times a year.  Besides my chickens and quail would loose the little mind they have!

Again nice, nice bird.  I have a couple of BIG red shouldereds here in the swamp, and he is already hunting for her.  He likes the big pine right by my house to present his gifts, really cool to watch.  They are getting used to the human with the huge eyes staring at them (binos  ;D ).  I need to go find the nest just so I know what tree it is in.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

vtclimber

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 01:36:59 pm »
Swamp,

Since we started trapping goldens up here in Va, I have probably seen over 150 in the last month and a half. They are surprisingly a good number out here. No one sees them because they are hunting in the woods unlike the balds that prefer the open fields. Most of our trap sites are incredibly remote nd have a clearing just large enough to get a net in. I have worked with Balds for years now, but there is something about these goldens that touch the soul....almost magical. I'll shoot you a PM later this afternoon. I'd be very interested in chatting.

Dave

Offline aero86

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 02:02:37 pm »
i wouldnt want that thing after me..  could probably carry me off..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 02:21:01 pm »
imagine talons like that on something 6' tall and a mouth full of teeth! :o
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 02:22:23 pm »
I have a friend that is the Exec Director of Wildlife Experinces Inc, a raptor rehab facility and education center, and they have a golden in the facility right now.  I have had the supreme honor of viewing this bird at close range and it is a very visceral impact when that bird locks it's predatory eye on your own!  Talk about pucker factor.  I realized I am really nothing more than a stick weilding monkey in his opinion.   At this time the bird is nearing full recovery, but has balance issues and they are hoping to arrange an MRI of the bird's skull to get a look at the inner ear.  I got my fingers crossed for him, he belongs in the air...not in a mew.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

vtclimber

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:17 pm »
Mechslasher - I've seen someone that got footed by a bald eagle.....NOT GOOD!

JW - I agree completely. They belong in the air, not confined. We have one at the WIldlife Center in Va and another (some jerk used a leg trap) at the WV Raptor Rehabilitation Center. They had to amputate a couple toes because of the trap. Makes me want to get a hold of the guy......but I'll leave that to law boys. We have been trying to understand their migratory patterns a bit better since they are considered "rare" on this side of the country. Hell, there is not even (that I am aware of) a documented nest in the US east of the Miss.