Author Topic: eagle attacking deer...  (Read 5018 times)

Offline lowell

eagle attacking deer...
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:08:56 am »
Thought this was a neat article and great pictures.  Happened near me here in northern Il. ;)  Make me think my Jack Russell would not have a chance!! :o

ilbirds.com/index.php?topic=32809.0
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:58:00 am by Justin Snyder »
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Swamp Bow

Re: eagle attacking deer...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 01:21:36 am »
Wow!  Way cool.  That doe is gonna be pooping diamonds for a bit.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

vtclimber

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:46:14 am »
Very cool! There are some youtube videos of guys in Mongolia hunting wolves with them.....

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 10:09:49 am »
Really interesting pictures - I've seen the mongolian footage but that is very interesting.  Don't think I ever saw a Golden when I lived up in IL. 
Along with the pictures that Vtclimber posted - very cool!
1’—>1’

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 11:27:22 am »
thats crazy!  musta been hungry
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

vtclimber

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:02:20 pm »
Winter can be tough on the raptors. Less prey and they still have to eat. In some areas of Va we can put deer carcasses out and within two days they are gone from the eagles hitting them. If I can dig them up, somewhere I have a picture of something like 11 eagles on one carcass......

Lombard

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 12:42:47 am »
That is wild.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 02:15:32 am »
The mention of feeding eagles in winter reminds me of my childhood. The guy that lived across from my grandparents in Germany used to (still does?) keep pigeons.  He had a bit of cash invested and probably kept 75-100 birds.  Every year he'd loose a few to the hawks and then gripe an moan about it.  He swore the hawks had a taste for the pricey ones.  Funny thing is, in really bad winter years he would go purchase a few hog quarters and put the on the shed a couple of times to help those same hawks though till spring.  I always admired the man for that.  I can still picture those sky rats flying around and around in the valley keeping a sharp eye out for those hawks.  I recall one year that a young hawk didn't pull out in time while on a flight after a pigeon which made it into the coop in time.   He must have hit the pop hole at Mach something.  The dead hawk hit so hard it had to be dismembered to get it back out.  Smart pigeon, dumb hawk.  The way it goes.  Wow, I hadn't though about any of that in a long long time.  Thanks.

Swamp

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:13:31 am »
Swamp, I could sit around the campfire for days and listen to you tell stories.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:59:13 am »
Swamp, I could sit around the campfire for days and listen to you tell stories.  ;D

That would last about 24 hr and then you'd wanna stuff me in a hole.   Or is that 24 min? ;D  Thanks  8)

Swamp