Author Topic: Michael Roberts (El Destructo) Wins Feb BOM for Laminates  (Read 24255 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Michael Roberts (El Destructo) Wins Feb BOM for Laminates
« on: March 06, 2010, 12:38:17 am »
A Hickory backed Birdseye Wampanoag by Michael Roberts (El Destructo) of Stinnett, Texas
Receives the Nod for Laminate Bow of the Month for February

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,17497.60.html
This is quite the craftsmanship:
Well Deer Season is over...We got 14 inches of Snow...the City Plows ain't Plowing...so I hit the Garage Yesterday...and started on a Glue Up I put together this last Summer....It's an Air Dried Birdseye Maple Board from Upper Michigan....I backed it with Pignut Hickory for a little added Assurance against the massive amounts of fugue in the Maple....when I glued it up...I induced way too much Reflex... ...5 Inches to be exact! Anyways...I cut it out....and started drawknifing it late yesterday afternoon...and here is where I am at as of right now...I have it Tillered to 25 inches....at 65 pounds...I am shooting for 28 at 70 pounds...so I should have no problems there at all...I just hope that the Maple can take that kind of weight....we'll find out...eh! The Bow is 66 inches long 64 NTN.... 2 1/4" wide at the widest parts of the Paddles....It carrys 2 1/2" of Reflex after being Unstrung...and relaxing to 3" in less than an Hour...This was my first heavy reflexed Bow...and what difference there is in the Tillering Process...Man you have to go slow to make sure that you don't remove too much too fast! All in All ...this was a great learning Experience for Me....
And here is a lot of praise for real craftsmanship!
"That's a fine looking bow! Great craftmanship! Yeah, snowstorms have a way of bringing out the bow and/or arrow making time. I got a bunch of arrows made during our big snowstorm.  But, this is actually ancient tradition as I understand winter is when a lot of tribes would make arrows or new bows. What else they gonna do? Well, they could tell stories. "We're going to hear the story about Coyote and the---" "Awwww, all the Coyote stories are re-runs!"   - Tsalagi
"You've turned out another incredibly crafted bow  of my favorite style in some of the prettiest maple I've ever seen.  Remarkable bow and thanks for sharing this lethal piece of art with us." -xin
"Mike that turned out sweeter than apple butter man one of these days i might have to try and talk you out of one of them paddle bows of yours,them suckers always turn out sweet" -sailordad
"Mike the bow is stunning, that is one of nicest pieces of birdseye I've ever seen and living where I do I've seen lots of it
The Paint job is over the top, tiller is excellent, and the attention to detail is stupendous  BOM material for sure even though
its not an osage recurve   Sorry just couldn't resist  I suffer from a bad case of impulsiveness donchano eh"
-DanaM

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:05:34 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline profsaffel

Re: Michael Roberts (El Destructo) Wins Feb BOM for Laminates
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 12:41:06 am »
Congrats Michael. That is a stunning bow and an unusual design. Well deserved...   :)
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:52 am »
Congrats El! Sure is a perty thang! Bring it to the classic, I'd really like to see that one in person. ;)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 12:50:27 am »
 Congratulations Mike, that is a very well deserved win with an incredibly beautiful bow. Well done.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:26 am »
Man...this is one Big Surprise....didn't ever expect to win BOM...not ever....... :-[.....Thank You to all that Voted for this Bow...I had a lot of fun making it...and I learned a lot also....I am very honored by this Win....and am glad that so many People liked this Style of Bow...I am very attached to them...in fact ...I think I still have all but two of them that I have built... :P...Thanks again...and next Bow I build...I promise...I will wear some Clothes that Fit....You should have heard My Wife ...when I showed Her this....She chewed my Butt out..... when I told Her that these Pictures would be in the Next Issue.....;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 01:50:08 am »
Mike that is just awesome ;D  I'm so glad that this bow took BOM this month.  You deserve it that's for sure.  Everything about this bow screamed excellence.
Nate Danforth

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 03:37:07 am »
Congrats Mike, well deserved!
Frank from Germany...

bowkee

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 05:08:22 am »
I voted for your bow too.Outstanding!

Offline Cooper

• "I believe in … surprise"
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 07:44:49 am »
A well deserved win from a superb bow - traditionell design, beautifully wood and finish. I like this bow very much.
Niels Böttcher - "Cooper" (PA) = "Botjer" (FC+FA)
"If this day wasn't your friend it was your teacher …"

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 07:57:00 am »
Way to go Mike! Great bow.
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline DanaM

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 08:49:36 am »
Well whollywuheh ya won ;D Congrats Mike well deserved win my friend :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:33 am »
Thanks Guys...I really Appreciate the Votes...and the nice Words about the Bow...Timo...I will try to make room for this one in the Car when I come to the Classic too
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2010, 10:55:27 am »
Congrats Mike!   Don could always just add a little to the bottom of your shirt. He could do it...if he wanted to >:D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline RyanY

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 11:04:30 am »
Great job man.  ;)

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 11:24:43 am »
If I was paying attention to the Picture...and not the Bow...I could have Photshopped the Bottom..and made Momma happier too.... ;D

Ryoon...........thank You...and just so all will know...I voted for this Guys little Powerhouse....anyone that can make a piece of wood do what He did...gets my Vote.........that Bend was Scary lookin........ >:D

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:39:41 am by El Destructo »
2024...We Will Overcome