Author Topic: Surface sander  (Read 5467 times)

Offline jturner

Surface sander
« on: March 06, 2010, 04:26:18 am »
I was looking online and found plans to make your own surface sander. very simple. I already had the motor so I figured id try, took about an hour to make i have 24 dollars into the bearings 3.50 for the shaft and the guy at the macine shop made the drum and we got talkin about bows and he wouldnt take any money for it. The plans called for a wood drum I didnt like that idea so I went with aluminum. I went cheap on the wood but I was surprised how well it works. has anyone else tried making one? I wish I would have found the plans a long time ago.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Okie

• Bear Creek Selfbows
Re: Surface sander
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 06:40:14 am »
Been thinkin bout it. Where's the pics?? You know we gotta have pics!!
Take a kid huntin' (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old)
<---------<<<Founding Member Oklahoma Selfbow Society>>>-----------> Vice President OSS

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:08:38 am »
Took the words out of my mouth Okie!!

Pictures and where did you find the plans??

Thanks, Lowell
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:38:50 am »
Inquiring mind want to know...   I other words "ditto"  :)

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline jturner

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 02:06:59 pm »
Ill go out and take some pics, as long as u guys dont laugh too much. Im gonna rebuild it out of metal and mdf. I just put it together to try it and it will work like it is to taper belly cores for hick backed osage. Im still having trouble posting pics. I need to find a way thats so easy a caveman can do it lol.  Lowell just google homemade drum sander or surface sander
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline jturner

Re: Surface sander (pic added)
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 11:13:08 pm »
Ok finally figured out the pictures. The plans called for this to be built of mdf plywood with a formica laminated top. I got the shaft and drum finished and had to try it so I used scrap 2x6. the top one has a hinge at the far end to change the thickness. Checked the pieces I ran through it with didgital calipers and it is dead flat. I can cut strips with my sawmill and give them about three passes on this and they are ready to glue. It takes less than a minute to change paper.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 11:22:23 pm by jturner »
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 11:50:23 pm »
So how do you attach the paper?
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

vtclimber

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 11:55:20 pm »
Nice man. I made one a while back that I used to thickness sand guitar tops. A little spray adhesive holds the paper on nicely.

Offline jturner

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 12:17:07 am »
I thought about glue but then i found one that was way better. I cut a slot 1/4 inch wide the length of the drum, put the paper in the slot wrap it around the drum stick the other end of the paper in the slot then stick a piece of the rubber string that holds window screens in place into the slot. shove it in with a scredriver and done. Plus i can use regular sandpaper.
Jake Turner     Michigan

vtclimber

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 12:52:52 am »
Crap, I wish I had thought of that! That is a great idea.

Offline jturner

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 01:08:45 am »
Thats what I thought. There are plans out there for one that runs off your table saw and has a power feed that is hand cranked but you could put a geared down motor on the power feed. I only have about 30 bucks into mine but I'm gonna redo it. I just had to test it out and see if it works. I'll get more pics up after I get it done.
Jake Turner     Michigan

vtclimber

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 01:49:39 am »
If you want man, I have some plans that I sent to another fella on here. They are the ones that I based mine off of. All in all, I think I spent around 100.00. I built mine to mount on my shopsmith (lathe function)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 08:05:44 am »
Thats a nice unit but I bet OSHA would write ya about 50 violations on it  ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jturner

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:53:35 am »
Yeah osha would have bigger problems than that. Like the 2000 lbs of osage leaned up everywhere. After I get it redone its gonna have a sheild and dust collector
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:59:39 pm »
 Nope, don't worry about OSHA. you are not a business. And the only violation would be, "Pinch points", no protective guards.  ;) I like it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?