Author Topic: Serious discussion about hunting heads  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Blacktail

Re: Serious discussion about hunting heads
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 01:42:16 pm »
also if you have had success with your hunting heads you could put a photo up of your style of head and show what works for you...thanks john

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 02:57:02 pm »
Timo, my friend Barry usually makes that burinated tip on his hunting points. Looks and feels like the bone-splitter point on a muzzy broadhead.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

half eye

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 03:01:40 pm »
Blacktail,
        I may have a little unique experience on this subject. Not so much about Knapped Heads but about the effects of cutting wounds and how they go about causing death. As a big city Det/Sgt I've been privy to more than a hundred human autopsies, and since 1962 or so have killed about 70-75 deer (whitetails) so take this for whatever it's worth.
       The first way cutting causes death, obviously is exanguation (bleeding to death) which would include liver shots, femoral arteries, etc. Any of the major arteries or liver etc. will bleed out a human or animal in very quick order. The second way that cutting wounds kill is by catastrophic colapse of vital organs by way of sudden lung collapse. A double lung shot will kill as fast or faster than an arterial cut because when the lungs collapse suddenly and catastrophically the remaining vital organs tend to shut off immediately. An example of the sudden collapse is a deer I shot through both lungs as it was feeding, the arrow passed through so fast the animal didn't even flinch it's skin.....and continued to reach for a second bite when it simply fell straight down.
        Now to the point, all of the methods of killing by cutting are more efficient by having a microscopically "clean" cut. These clean cuts (very sharp blades) not only do not want to coagulate, but they hemmerage more severely. To this day it is my understanding that medical surgeons will use obsidian bladed scalpels for delicate surgeries because you cant get a "sharper" cutting edge.

The other fellas are probably right about designs etc. but the sharp edge is what you really want. the rest of the design is to get that baby where it needs to be. Sorry for the lecture but I have been able to see first hand what these types of wounds look like after they have done their work.
half eye

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:12:01 pm »
 I do like a narrower and slightly thicker point for hogs. It gives me the option for head shots. I hate blood trailing them.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline billy

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 05:12:43 pm »
Hey Blacktail,

I just found this post.  My opinions on hunting heads are:  A sharp stone point mounted on a perfectly-flying arrow that is delivered accurately to the vitals is most important.  I've hunted with different point designs, from triangular with no notches to side and corner notched points.  Design really doesn't seem to matter...it's a sharp point that is accurately placed that brings home the bacon.  Also, arrow flight is VERY important too...perfect flight greatly increases penetration over an arrow that fishtails in flight.  Bow weight doesn't seem to matter that much, as I have shot lightweight reed arrows with small stone points completely thru a freshly killed deer with my little 40-lb osage bow.   If you can put that arrow exactly where you want it, then you can use surprisingly lightweight bows and still be successful, and I think that's one reason why most Native American bows I've seen were not bulky, thick, or strong.  Instead they were sleek, elegant, and small, and I estimate they didn't pull over 45 or 50 lbs.

I do prefer a stone point that is around 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch wider than the largest part of the shaft so it will provide enough clearance for the shaft to slide thru the wound.  But I certainly don't tip my arrows with stone points that are 3/4 of an inch wide.  Most of my hunting points are around 5/8 inch wide and have proved very deadly as long as I put them where I want.  And beauty doesn't have anything to do with effectiveness.  I shot a rabbit last year with a flat, thin point that had no flake scars except for just around the edges.  It only ran 10 yards and crashed.  I shot a squirrel 3 years ago with a small stemmed point that was ugly as sin...the point went thru the squirrel, hit the branch behind it, and broke the tip off.  The squirrel had nowhere to go and tried to find a way out of the tree, but he couldn't go far with the arrow thru its chest.  It fell outta the tree a second or two later.  I killed my doe last year with a long, kinda sleek side notched point...but it certainly wasn't pretty.  She only ran 50 yards and collapsed.     
Marietta, Georgia

Offline Newbow

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 11:53:06 pm »
Always keep in mind that, regardless of your personal preferences, your points must conform to state law.  In Washington, Oregon,  Idaho and Montana a point must be a minimum of 7/8" wide.  Check the regulations for where you plan to hunt before you make up a bunch of arrows you might not be able to use.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 11:59:59 pm »
Here is that spin jig I was telling you about John. Really helps true up the point when mounting it. Maybe I can do a demo up at our rendezvous

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2010, 12:24:26 am »
hey keenan,you will have to show it off at the rendezvous..maybe you can show me how you chip your hunting heads...thanks for the info billy.

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 03:33:31 pm »
There is the size points i feel should work the best. small sharp points made from flakes on a thin tapered shaft. looking for deeper penetration and keeping shots 12 yards and under- Ryan

[attachment deleted by admin]
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 11:03:51 pm »
How do you think this little point would work?  I make it from a flake tonight.

[attachment deleted by admin]
south central VA

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 10:50:40 am »
i think it great brown hill...i think ryans point is what i am going to shoot for...

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 12:43:25 pm »
Thanks Blacktail.  Do these light weight points still fly good?  I've never shot any points this light.  Mine above is only 25 grains.
south central VA

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 12:52:43 pm »
yeah they can still fly good. typically i would say you wouldnt want to shoot over 10 or 12 yards. they fly like darts at that range. might take a little larger fletching to keep the arrow going straight since you will have a lack of weight in the front.  looks like your point is on the right path. i would actually try to shorten up the tip a little bit to eliminate that curvature in the point. but other than that i'd say thats the size and shape- Ryan
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline brownhillboy

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 06:41:09 pm »
Thanks Ryan, I was wondering about that.
south central VA