Author Topic: The harvest is on!  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
The harvest is on!
« on: March 08, 2010, 05:43:19 pm »
After a long winter with record(my records  ;D ) amounts of snow for our area I finally got a chance to cut some hill cane yesterday and today. These are today's harvest(160) and I got 30 yesterday and haven't even hit my holey hole.  ;D   Unlike before I decided to cut almost any culm that is "ripe" for arrow making. Some are quite small in diameter and I want to try to make some kids arrows with them.
  It will be a while before these are ready for arrow making. I will separate them into groups by diameter and make bundles of about 15 wrapped with twine or rubber bands and set them aside to dry.
  I have talked to a few folks about sending them some hill cane to try and I have a few regulars I always send some to. So, if we have discussed a trade for cane or I already owe you cane for a trade please let me know. If we haven't discussed a swap, don't even think about trying to fool me!  >:( ::) ;D  If I have more when my obligations are fulfilled I will be willing to share with others.
 These are what I collected today. 160 in all but I'm sure some will be immature, some will have worm holes in them and some will be too small.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: The harvest is on!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:45:45 pm »
Some great looking stuff Pat.  I am sure you will find a few arrows in there for sure.  Bet that driveway looks different now... ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:31 pm »
Charlie, you can't even tell I was in there cutting. with this years crop cut next years brood can grow up to be arrow worthy.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:32:07 pm »
Great stuff.  Nothing like a lifetime supply of arrows...... :o ;D

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:15:15 pm »
Wow Pat. I can't wait till mine gets to growing like. Hopefully next year I will be able to cut some.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Lombard

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:21:54 pm »
Never tried the cane, but you have piqued my interest. Will any small cane or bamboo work, or does it have to be a specific species?

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:32:00 pm »
hey, maybe you could send me some roots!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »
That's a nice collection Pat! I was driving around eyeballing some in the rain earlier. Working a job in East TX and theres some river cane around, imagine I'll be hauling some home in a couple weeks.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:51 pm »
Pat I'll trade ya for some, would like to try hill cane and see how it compares to tonkin and river cane.
And if ya have some sourwood shoots I wouldn't mind some of them. You have my e-mail and phone #
get ahold of me and we will work something out eh :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline RG

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 09:00:41 pm »
Looks like a good haul Pat gona have to try my hand at primitive arrows sometime Got some river cane on my farm

Ron
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 10:54:13 pm by King Ron »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 11:57:13 pm »
Nice looking harvest Pat. If you would have had them to work on this winter while you were snowed in you could have straightened them before you sent them out.  ;)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Little John

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:15:04 am »
Nice harvest Pat, It sure would be nice a thing to be able to grow. Don't you have a bamboosa patch also?  Glad your back must be better and you are up to be out and doing.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 09:15:11 am by Little John »
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 11:47:33 am »
Howdy PatB,

It looks as though you got yourself a real good haul for arrow makin'.

(BTW, be real careful when you are cutting around your "holey hole" that sounds like an injury waitin' to happen. :D)

Good Luck,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Pdwight

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:37:39 pm »
tag.......because I want to watch this  ;D

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 10:26:07 am »
i been cuttin some myself. i got a hundred river cane and a hundred "mystery boo" lol for now. gunna get more sunday i think.

id like to try hill cane one day. i assume it would be about the same as river cane.
lets just shoot it