Author Topic: Range Shooting  (Read 5016 times)

Offline Diligence

Range Shooting
« on: March 01, 2010, 11:51:09 am »
Well, as some of you know, I am new to archery.  I had shot a compound for a couple of summers 20 years ago, but didn't pick up a bow again until last summer.

The only range I have easy access to is full of only compound shooters.  They have paper and 3D targets set-up indoor in an old barn (it's still winter here with snow on the ground).  The longest distance is 45 yards and the shortest was 8 yards from an elevated platform.  This past week, the remainder of the 3D targets were at 25 yards and out.  (some as large as Moose, elk and bear, and some as small as beavers and fox)

My question is this.....I want to participate in the 3D shoots, but the distance to the targets just seems so large.  When you all participate in 3D trad events, where are the targets generally placed?  Also, this particular range had many of the targets set up so that the arrow had to pass through a very narrow gate (say about 20" wide) at half the yardage to the target.  I know that in hunting situations, brush is an issue...but is this common for trad shoots?

My goal is to become a better archer, and I want to maximize my range time at is 30 miles from my house, but at the same time I also want to feel like I am "participating" in the club and not just firing away at paper all night long.

I'm reluctant to shoot at the long range targets because if I miss, there is a big chance of hitting some sort of wooden support and breaking my arrows (which I don't want to do as I make them myself, slowly...)

...I guess I'm looking at options that I might use to improve my shooting without being limited to just shooting the close range paper.  For your reference at 20 yards, my best group was 3 arrows inside 8", and my worst group was 3 arrows inside 24".....as you can, I have some work to do.

I have thought about buying some carbon arrows and shooting them indoors, just so they don't break as easily, but to me that kind of seems odd seeing as I was previously insistent on shooting my homemade stickbow with my homemade shafts, complete with sinew, etc....

J
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Range Shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
Jaye, most of the 3D shoots I go to are set up for trad shooters and at hunting distances; out to about 30yards with a few longer shots. Most are set in hunting situations with brush and trees to shoot around or through. The distances they are shooting at the range sounds about right. Even though I normally wouldn't shoot at a deer at 45 yards, practicing at that distance can really improve your close range shooting.
   If you will be hunting with your bows and arrows I'd suggest you shoot the set up you are used to and not change to to other arrows because you might break one. Fear of breaking arrows can lead to good shooting!  ;D  All of my arrows are individually built and lots of time goes into them. That said, arrows are made to be shot. If you worry about loosing or breaking them you will never shoot well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 12:52:32 pm »
I agree with Pat on the arrow thing.  I broke 3 arrows and lost two this weekend in the woods, I spent  alot of time making them but they are arrows, they are meant to be shot. One of the ones I broke I was shooting in between two pine trees around 6 or 8 inches apart at 15 or so yards and then the target was another 5 yards behind that.  My arrow hit the tree on the left first, then the tree on the right, glanced off the back of the deer target, hit 2 or 3 other trees behind it and came apart in the air in 3 pieces, all of which went in different directions... All I could do is laugh as I watched it happen even though I had a few hours of work in that arrow.   :) :) I think my next batch are going to be flourescent pink though, LOL.  I dont mind breaking them as much as I am tired of losing them in the leaves.   :)   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:25:15 pm »
 A lot of the TBOF shoots are set up at 20 yards or less, with some shots with some pretty tight site windows. Those tight shots are typical of hunting in some of the thicker stuff in Florida. If I'm shooting some real good arrows and some of the shots are just plain ridiculous I'll pass on the shot. I don't need to break or lose a $50 cane arrow to get patted on the back. I'm there to have fun, relax.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:57:45 pm »
What Mullet said....I enjoy shooting the Hard Shots...and the shots where you have to crouch and shoot...or lean way out to shoot...but I spend too much time and Money on Equipment to waste it on some of the Ridiculous Set Ups that some of these Tournament come up with...and I too will walk on to the next one..... as for distances....our Range here has Yardage Stakes on all of their 3-D's.....there are Stakes for Longbows....Primitive Bows...and Recurves...along with the ever present Compounds too... when I go and Shoot....which ain't been too often this last year....too much Work.....They cringe when they see me coming...because of the Handicap that a Primitive Shooter gets ( read...way closer to the Target.... ;D)..and I almost always place too..... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

half eye

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 11:39:00 pm »
Diligence,
        I've been shooting stick bows since 1962. I been all through that "good shot" thing and practiced till the skin on fingers was gone but if you are interested in being a good hunter.....not the best shot mind you, but a good hunter then be a good hunter. I'm not being facious....what I mean is learn to hunt, ambush, get real close and when you think your close enough....get even closer.
       Learn all you can about your quarry's anatomy, kill zones etc., study their weaknesses and capitalize on them. Yes you need to shoot well but just as importantly you have to be able to shoot in a groove....are you comfortable with the shot? is the distance right? is there any doubt in your mind about taking the shot? and on and on etc. ad-infinitum.
        Ther aint nothing wrong with hanging with your buds and whistling arrows at a foam target from some un-Godly distance.....but dont confuse that ability with good, ethical hunting. Shooting a live animal in the ass or otherwise wounding one will leave a taste in your mouth that wont ever go away. I wont shoot past 20 yards EVER, and have passed shots at 10 yards because "it didn't feel right". I cant explain it really but to me hunting is in the chase, and I have confidence in my shooting but shooting is the LAST thing you do before the work starts.
       Sorry for rambling but there is a whole other side to archery hunting besides the mechanics of shooting. Well at least for this old man, but to each his own.
half eye

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 12:10:19 am »
Thanks for the advice folks....I'll just tough it out with the compound guys on their laser range...and break a few arrows and have some fun.  I don't think I mind the tight sight window shots, but I just don't want to be doing that out to 40 yards....seems kind of counter productive to actually getting good at lethal shot placement.

Regarding hunting, I have only ever made one shot (rifle) that I didn't feel was ethical on a whitetail across a clear cut - in the dark....and I was 17.  I'm 39 now and don't intend to make that same mistake again....so thank you for your opinion Half-eye.  I agree.  My reality is that finding time to go hunting, along with all the scouting, etc...will be really tough this year, but I might get out on some "armed hikes" looking for a jackrabbit or two.

El-D....is there always a distance handicap for trad shooters?  the guys I have been shooting with have never mentioned it, but then again, we are indoors at a range and stepping up 10 yards would probably get me accidentally shot in the back of my rump...lol

I guess I need to get a supply of fletching and make up a bunch of arrows, and break them left, right and center until I stop breaking so many....kind of a "that's life ho-hum" attitude.

thanks all,

j
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 12:18:21 am »
Whatever you do just make sure you are having fun.  Life's too short.  Break some arrows and laugh about it.  Learn and have fun at the same time.  I know the more frustrated I get after a bad shot, the worse the next few shots are.   :) 

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2010, 10:26:48 am »
im with everyone els on the breaking arrows thing. finnished my first set ever of boo and cane arrows a week ago. as of now i have four left, cuz i keep shooting my own arrows. kinda makes a feller mad. >:(

but, ya can always make a few more.  ;D
lets just shoot it

Offline Stoker

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2010, 11:01:05 am »
I gotta practice with the wheelie boys indoors too.Just ask if you can drag a target bag to 10yrds..
Most guys are good about it. Theirs a lot of kids that want to shoot closer too.If they are perminent targets make a bag for yourself
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Barrage

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2010, 11:22:42 pm »
Jaye, what part of the city you live in?  Won't help you out on the days the snow is blowing, but there is also a couple outdoor ranges for the chinook days or when spring rolls around.  Calgary Archery Club off Glenmore (I think?) or if you live in the North, there's Bighorn Bowhunters which is actually in Carstairs (1/2 hr North for me from Coventry).  I've never been to CAC so I can't really comment - pictures look nice though!  Bighorn is really good.  Usually pretty quiet out there (aka range to yourself :)), has a playground for kids.  Has bag range with targets out to ~70 yrds.  Has a 20 target course through the trees which is setup for the compounds (usually 40+ yards) but you can of course shoot from where ever you want.  It's $125/yr for a membership for a family pass; around $75 for a single.  That includes the range membership, and membership/insurance with either ABA or ATAA, whichever you prefer.  Also, every Thurs (I think?) in March, if you have a membership to Bighorn, you can shoot at Jim Bows for free.  Not as big as Calgary Archery Center (only 20 yrds, cardboard backdrop), and of course you'll only see compounds there too.

Unrelated note, if you're ever looking for trad arrow supplies like glue on arrow points, feathers, etc, GitRDone Archery is run by a guy out of his basement in the city.  He has a website, can pick up stuff from his place (in Ranchlands), prices are pretty good.

Anyway, sorry if you already knew all this.  Hope it helps otherwise.
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 11:42:25 pm »
Thanks Travis...I'm up in West Citadel (just off Stoney and Country Hills).  I've been going out to the Cochrane range.  It's 3km north of the Shell station at the corner of 567 and 22 North.  They have a very nice indoor range, heated and well lit with lots of different targets.

They asked me to buy the insurance for $27 and then drop in nights is only $7 for paper or $15 for paper and 3D.   I might get a range membership for $125 or so, but we'll see if I can actually keep going out there - family life is pretty crazy.

The first time I went out there they had about 40 3D targets up with a bunch of paper too, but they have started a 3D league of sorts and this past week only had 12 3D targets up.  They were at 8 yards, then 22 yards, with the rest at 25 and out to 40, shooting thru narrow lanes (bordered by slab lumber)....hence why I was reluctant to waste my arrows.

I've never been to the CAC either, but I did stop in at Jim's place (near 32nd?) once to look around.

I think I'll try that place down by the Elbow Springs golf course this summer....looks like they have a good 3D loop set up in the trees.

I just saw a card for the GitrDone guy on this past Thursday...will check out his website.

Drop me a PM sometime and maybe we can chat bows over a beer or two?

Thanks,
Jaye

Offline Barrage

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2010, 12:09:39 am »
Didn't even know about that indoor range in Cochrane. 

I hear ya on the family life - number 3 is coming for us in a month so that should be fun :).  That's one reason I like Carstairs.  Usually have the range to yourself so you can take the kids through the course (until they get scared by the bear lol).  My 3 yr old is getting more interested in shooting since the end of last year too, so that will be fun.  Plus if they get bored there's the swing and slide, and firepit.  When we're not camping we often get out for one day on the weekend.

Beer and bow talk sometime sounds good too  :)
Travis

Offline Diligence

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 01:39:06 am »
Thanks to all of you for your advice.  I shot again tonight and just decided that if arrows got broken, then so be it....broke 2 in an hour.  I had fun and shot better than last week.....more relaxed I guess.

Cheers,
J