Author Topic: bowstring  (Read 22158 times)

Offline billmac

bowstring
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:21:52 am »
Anyone use something other than a flemish twist string?  I've read every flemish twist tutorial I can find and I still can't make them make sense to me.  What other alternatives are there?

Offline Agbowyer

Re: bowstring
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:27:51 am »
Send me a PM with your address. I bought a video awhile back. It took about 10 minutes of actually watching it to get the hang of it. I had trouble with the written version too... Chris

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:10:59 pm »
Got your message. I should be able to drop it in the mail tomorrow. Seeing it done really simplifies the process. I used to make endless loops till I figured flemish out.... Chris

Offline Dane

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 12:30:33 pm »
It was one of those “ah ha” moments, after a lot of fumbling and cursing, but it really is a calk walk. Suppose I want to make a 14 strand Flemish string. I measure out 7 fibers of B-50, and then wax both ends of the fiber bundle lightly, a bit past where I want to begin twisting the loops. Then, I measure out another set of 7 fibers, waxing the ends.

I hold both bundles together with my left hand, just past the point where I want to begin the top loop. One set of fibers is on top of the other, all untwisted at this point, and separated with my forefinger. I twist the top group of seven fibers AWAY from me (clockwise) between my thumb and second finger, a couple of twists.

Then, I pull that twisted bundle TOWARD me, counterclockwise, across the top of the second set of 7 bottom fibers. I pinch both fiber bundles lightly with my left hand, and then, twist what is now the bottom set of fibers AWAY from me, clockwise, a couple of twists. Then, I pull that bundle toward me, over the top. Do it over and over again, and voila.

I twist until I have about 4 inches or so of untwisted fibers. I make the loop, and repeat the process, this time twisting the 14 fibers away from me, then across the already twisted string. Repeat until you have your finished loop. I don’t usually make a bottom loop, and instead tie the string on the bow with a bowyers knot.

Using two colors of B-50 can help see what is going on, and looks cool, though I use mostly one color, brown.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 12:46:57 pm »
I made a jig, basically a board with nails, I think I got the plan from ferrets site. For twisting I clamp the two bundles in my wise. Keeps both hands free and makes it easy.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 12:53:09 pm »
It was one of those “ah ha” moments, after a lot of fumbling and cursing, but it really is a calk walk. Suppose I want to make a 14 strand Flemish string. I measure out 7 fibers of B-50, and then wax both ends of the fiber bundle lightly, a bit past where I want to begin twisting the loops. Then, I measure out another set of 7 fibers, waxing the ends.

I hold both bundles together with my left hand, just past the point where I want to begin the top loop. One set of fibers is on top of the other, all untwisted at this point, and separated with my forefinger. I twist the top group of seven fibers AWAY from me (clockwise) between my thumb and second finger, a couple of twists.

Then, I pull that twisted bundle TOWARD me, counterclockwise, across the top of the second set of 7 bottom fibers. I pinch both fiber bundles lightly with my left hand, and then, twist what is now the bottom set of fibers AWAY from me, clockwise, a couple of twists. Then, I pull that bundle toward me, over the top. Do it over and over again, and voila.

I twist until I have about 4 inches or so of untwisted fibers. I make the loop, and repeat the process, this time twisting the 14 fibers away from me, then across the already twisted string. Repeat until you have your finished loop. I don’t usually make a bottom loop, and instead tie the string on the bow with a bowyers knot.

Using two colors of B-50 can help see what is going on, and looks cool, though I use mostly one color, brown.

I got the same trouble as Bill. I read all about it, but can't figure out what to do with the tag ends once I make my loop...how to match them up with the main strands etc.
It's confusing fer ser.

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:08:38 pm »
When you roll the loop over, match the tag ends color to color, and start twisting again away from the loop. I braid about 6 inches from the end of the loop then clip at the end of the twist. Switch ends and repeat the process. It seems complicated when reading, but seeing (at least for me) made it easy.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 01:16:11 pm »
I kinda got that, but doesn't it mean you are rolling the bundles over the main string and not actually braiding into the main string? ???

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 01:22:01 pm »
No, when you put the tag ends to color, you have two bundles again to braid. If somebody else doesn't do it before I can get home this evening, I'll try to post some pics.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 01:28:47 pm »
I'd appreciate that alot!

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2007, 01:53:29 pm »
You might also look here,  http://www2.pcom.net/jthutten/jth/doc/flemish.htm. It may help, but if you're like me you need visuals.

tpoof

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2007, 02:20:33 pm »
The best info I have found for tieing the Flemish is in The Traditional Bowhunter mag   April/May 1995
if you can get a back order you'll be good to go!
 It has pictures that actually help. string board construction as tieing techniques,,,,
Sometimes it gets confusing in the final braid of the loop, but I find if you have three different colors it helps in matching up the strands, then just match em up twist together and continue to twist wrap till it runs out
I mentioned three colors as I mostly tie three bundle strings,,, :)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 02:25:18 pm »
This tutorial is helpful:
http://residents.bowhunting.net/sticknstring/string.html

I am determined to make decent strings, myself. Problem I am having is the strands are not locking up tight. When I pull on the finished end, the bottom twist tends to come undone.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:50:56 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 03:43:46 pm »
Here another link its the one I used to learn  http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm

It helps to have 3 hands thats why I use my vise as a third hand.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2007, 03:50:14 pm »
DanaM
You're the man.
This geocities link is very helpful. As soon as my finger blisters heal, I'll start over.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 03:51:49 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday