Author Topic: bowstring  (Read 22152 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: bowstring
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2007, 04:04:21 pm »
Anyone just do a loop and make a rope the rest of the way down by reverse twisting? Bet you could get away with using fewer strands this way!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Dustybaer

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 04:53:40 pm »
i did it once, it's uuuugly  ;D  you can't beat the beauty of a double loop flemish string.  i make mine the way it was shown in the last tutorial (except for the end of the serving,but that's personal preference) and they are a piece of cake to make....after you've successfully finished the first one.  the a-ha effect was mentioned before and it's exactly what happened to me.

Offline Dane

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 05:05:17 pm »
Either today or tomorrow I am going to make a new Flemish string. I'll take some photos so you get the perspective of the maker looking at the string throughout the process. Simple and really satisfying.

It might help someone. I'll use yellow and brown B-50, so it is clearer.

Give me a day or two or three, though.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 05:08:21 pm »
Ok! This will sound stupid. How do you keep the twist, on the second loop from getting back into the string?
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 05:47:16 pm »
Ok! This will sound stupid. How do you keep the twist, on the second loop from getting back into the string?

EXACTLY!!!! This is something else I've lost sleep over. :-[

I've tried to do this with a dummy string for practice and I'm confused.

Those pics from the twister's perspective might help alot too.

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2007, 05:49:37 pm »
That's why tou clip the bottom of the first loop. Then as you do the second, you occaisionally untwist the bottom. Simple huh.

Manager

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2007, 05:57:19 pm »
John McPherson also has an article called Primitive Bowsting in the Apr/may issue, that will be out in your mailboxes in the next week or so.
Lenny Rosenkrans has one called 7 seceret steps to smoother sinew in this issue as well.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 05:59:48 pm by SarahAnne »

Offline yellow feather

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2007, 06:20:31 pm »
Old Bow.
You have to make sure that you twist the same direction on both ends. If they come undone then you twisted one diff.. The more you twist the string , it should get tighter.
San Angelo, Texas

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2007, 06:39:10 pm »
That's why tou clip the bottom of the first loop. Then as you do the second, you occaisionally untwist the bottom. Simple huh.

NO :-\

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2007, 06:57:12 pm »
Sorry, its not easy without visuals. When you finish twisting one end (after you made your loop), put a clip,clothspin etc where they cross. This will keep the first loop from untwisting while you work on the second loop. Then go to the other end and start the second loop just like the first. Braid the three inches (for a 1 1/2" loop) double it and smooth the tag ends back onto their color. Then braid as before. As you twist and braid the center will twist. Stop evry so often and run your finger between the strands from where you are holding the last crossing down to toward the first loop you made. Then continue braiding. When you finish the second loop, hook one on a peg pull straight, then twist the whole string in the direction to shorten the string. It really is very simple when you see it done. Its way faster and easier than an endless loop to me. Sorry if this is still clear as mud. I'll send my video to Billmac, them maybe he can send it to you I read all the descriptions and couldn't get it to work. 10 minutes of seeing it and made a string. never looked back.

JSU

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2007, 08:14:02 pm »
It's funny how some things are easy for some and hard for others.Things that ya'll do I struggle with. But I ordered a string jig from 3 rivers and it came with a one page paragraph on how to twist the flemish string- no pictures- I grabbed some string and went to twisting my first string was perfect length. I had no trouble at all with it!! OK, if someone will steam my wood without checking it like me I'll make you a string!!! Heck go ahead and finish my bow for me also!!!

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 08:45:21 pm »
Sorry, its not easy without visuals. When you finish twisting one end (after you made your loop), put a clip,clothspin etc where they cross. This will keep the first loop from untwisting while you work on the second loop. Then go to the other end and start the second loop just like the first. Braid the three inches (for a 1 1/2" loop) double it and smooth the tag ends back onto their color. Then braid as before. As you twist and braid the center will twist. Stop evry so often and run your finger between the strands from where you are holding the last crossing down to toward the first loop you made. Then continue braiding. When you finish the second loop, hook one on a peg pull straight, then twist the whole string in the direction to shorten the string. It really is very simple when you see it done. Its way faster and easier than an endless loop to me. Sorry if this is still clear as mud. I'll send my video to Billmac, them maybe he can send it to you I read all the descriptions and couldn't get it to work. 10 minutes of seeing it and made a string. never looked back.

Well if Billmac is so willing, but I'm sure he'll make good use of it.
All these directions make sense for the most part, there's just those couple of stubborn techniques that confuse or escape me all together...a visual is the best way to learn most anything. Makes a mental picture you don't soon forget if you pay attention.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 09:28:59 pm »
I don't care much for double-loop strings. I like the old-school flemish string with a loop on one end and a timber hitch on the other.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2007, 12:48:36 am »
I'm with Hillbilly on that!  One loop and a timber hitch(bowyers knot). The way I measure things, it's the only way.  ;D Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2007, 01:04:17 am »
...........Yup.......dont care much for loops, as a matter of fact hate 'em ! Over hand 'not on top and tie on bottom--my own version of bowyers hitch. Too lazy to make loop on top ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D !......bob