Author Topic: bowstring  (Read 22160 times)

Dustybaer

Re: bowstring
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2007, 09:09:34 am »
well, once i'm done with the first loop, i ad about 50 twists, which will be split between the first and the second loop, later.  i haven't found it necessary to clamp the string once i'm done with those twists.  i just turn the string around, and repeat the process EXACTLY the same way i did the first loop.  while i'm twisting the second loop in, it takes twists out at the other end.  i just try to make the splices and the follow-on twists equal length on both loops. and, yes, i do use this compact jig (which i made myself in about half an hour) to determine string length:  http://www2.pcom.net/jthutten/jth/doc/flemish.htm  it also helps the splice fade out smoothly, since all strands are of different length

Offline billmac

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2007, 11:04:33 am »
I'll be happy to send the video on.

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2007, 02:29:12 pm »
Finally made my first successful double loop Flemish string. This site offered up by DanaM
was pretty helpful.  http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm
The idea of "twisting away" clockwise and then bringing it across the bottom group and then repeating with the bottom group which is now on top threw me for awhile.
One note: keep the cat away from your work area.
I did make up my own wax by melting together a candle and toilet seal wax together. Poured it into a beer can with the top cut off. After the mixture cools, peal the aluminum down.  The base of the can makes for a good support.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 12:16:47 am by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2007, 02:30:53 pm »
Glad I could help Oldbow, its one of them things that just finally clicks.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »
Oldbow, I like the wax idea. I generally use beeswax though.

Billmac, the tapes on the way... Chris

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2007, 05:57:18 pm »
Oldbow, I like the wax idea. I generally use beeswax though.

Billmac, the tapes on the way... Chris

Agbowyer/Billmac....Thanks very much for being willing to help out the inexperienced...and of course everyone else on this site too!LOL.

tpoof

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2007, 01:24:03 am »
That toilet bowl wax is excellent fly tying dubbing wax.... ::) :-\ :)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2007, 01:47:52 am »
...AAH !.................a fellow fly tier...........................bob

duffontap

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2007, 03:28:28 am »
Count me in too Bob.  When I was in high school I made a little money tying flies for shops in Oregon and a couple out-of-state.  Took the fun right out of it.  Now my fly box typically has five flies in it.  Ruining hobbies is not the best way to make a living.   :P

This is a hilarious thread.  I'm remembering the agony.  Learning to make a flemish string takes five minutes with a live human teacher.  After that the published tutorials will serve to refresh your memory.  It's a worthwhile thing to learn--no question. 

Does anyone do 3-bundle flemish strings?  They're much harder for me but I like the way they look. 

J. D. Duff

Dustybaer

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2007, 05:35:01 am »
j.d. i haven't tried it yet.  what makes it harder?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2007, 07:33:42 am »
Bob I also tie up a few flies, not the best but good enuf.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2007, 08:42:23 am »
Bob, I tie a few too, not as many as I used to. I tied to sell for awhile and about got burned out on it. Nowadays I tie up just enough to last me and a couple buddies through the season.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

duffontap

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2007, 01:03:55 pm »
Dustybaer,

It's the same process with one more bundle of bowstring.  It's just harder to keep a tight reverse-twist and an even finished product because you have to keep three bundles in order with two hands.  I did all three-bundle strings for a while and then switched to two bundles for ease.  Now I'm doing the old timberhitch and single loop to see how I like it. 

J. D. Duff

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2007, 01:09:33 pm »
Hey, a lot in common here.....I have tied flies since I was a boy.
Sold a few, but mostly tied for family and friends.

woody

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2007, 01:47:03 pm »
DanaM has posted the same website I used   http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm

It helped me to actually do the movements with my hands as I read them.  I must have looked pretty strange in the library!