Author Topic: hand made bows and brotherhood  (Read 16587 times)

huntersim

hand made bows and brotherhood
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:04:31 pm »
You know makin bows is a lot of fun. But the real fun is going out and shooting them…..especially with friends and family. Doesn’t matter the type of bow or how you build it, just that you enjoy it.

My brother and I have started a tradition of sorts that entails a wager placed on a shot of some sort. We have started doing this at every family get together. The wager can’t be of money, but for the most part anything goes.

Last year we made a bet on a shot, the looser had to sing “I’m a little teapot”. So, somewhere in the family annals I have a video of him singing and acting out the song in front of about 10 in-laws.

When we go down to the in-laws they keep us in a camper out back (helps keep the riffraff out side).  Plus we can laugh and joke all night, watch war movies and have the occasional sniff of bushmills or something there abouts. And during hunting season we can get up at 4 am and not wake the whole house.

So, Fri. evening, we get to Kentucky, and its about 30 degrees out. After a few hours, we finally got the camper warm and the fun started. We spent half the evening debating what the big shoot-off was going to be, along with what type of humiliation might ensue.

Tongue-in-check my brother said (as he was still trying to shake the cold off), “how about the looser runs 3 laps around the camper in their skivvies”. I said deal.

So here are a few photos.

First is of the dogwoods. I just love to see the dogwoods in bloom.

[attachment deleted by admin]

huntersim

Re: hand made bows and brotherhood
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:05:30 pm »
Next two are of the shoot off. The bow my brother is shooting is the bulletwood bow I patched and re-worked for him. My bow is a 58” osage/bamboo that is around 60 lbs.

[attachment deleted by admin]

huntersim

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 11:11:09 pm »
Well, moral of the story is……have fun, enjoy the woods, and be careful of any wagers you may enter. Also, be wary of the older brother even if you’re bigger and 14 years younger.  I’m a fairly private person for the most part, but I thought I’d share some Easter fun…..Happy Easter.

Well, I have a good photo, but I thought the better of it and spared the boy the humanity.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 12:03:37 am by huntersim »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 11:31:47 pm »
......GREAt STORY............... know what you mean about in-laws keeping the "riff' raff " outside..........LOL!...........bob

huntersim

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 12:06:42 am »
Thanks Bob. It would have been even better if I had posted the photo of him running. I had it posted, but went ahead and removed it real quick. I'd really feel bad if it got out to all his friends ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:37:50 am »
You made the right decision not posting the picture. Now if it had been your brother-in-law, I would say let go with the humiliation.  ;D I'm glad you had fun, and glad you won.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 06:39:29 am »
Thanks for sharing, nice little story but beware big brothers usually get even somehow.
I have an extra sister-in-law ifin someone wants her ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 07:54:51 am »
that was a fun story  ;D  i enjoyed it.  thanks.

dana, your post belongs in the "trading post".  you also forgot to mention if she's primitive and what you expect back in the trade  ;D

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 02:26:38 pm »

Good one Marius!!! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

huntersim

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 06:16:10 pm »
DanaM,

I am the big brother. All I have is sister-in-laws, 4 as a matter of fact. Thats why Im banished to the outside.

tonytwotimes

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 09:38:17 pm »
Word on the grapevine is that you have a copy of that photo that has been photos hopped... :P
Gee, guess it's time to start practicing