Author Topic: sassafrass sapwood  (Read 3669 times)

Offline jturner

sassafrass sapwood
« on: March 14, 2010, 08:54:56 pm »
im starting a sassafrass elb and was wondering if I should remove the sapwood or leave it on. Also what dimensions should I start with? I was thinking 1 and 1/4 wide at the handle. I have shot sassafrass elbs that were sweet shooters and think its time to try one.
Jake Turner     Michigan

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: sassafrass sapwood
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 09:03:52 pm »
You can leave the sapwood on. I never made an elb from it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 03:35:08 pm »
jturner, George...

I just walked out back on my property and chopped down a Sassafrass that I'd like to attempt a selfbow out of...it's the end of January so assume this was a good time to harvest it (sap is down) and the tree had a nice natural reflex shape to it.  It is approximately 6"-7" in diameter.  Will this small diameter be ok and will it yield at least one or two staves?  The only down side is that the OAL is just at 60"  Will I be wasting my time on this since it's pretty short and not the "normal" 62"-66" stave?

Many thanks.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline DEllis

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 12:25:46 am »
Lee Slikkers
I know nothing about sassafrass but 6" plus diameter is not a small tree in my mind. I recently made a 55 inch vine maple bendy handle bow that draws 26 inches and 62# out of a 1.5" sapling. You should have a few bows in that peice if it is fairly clean. Best of luck.
Darcy :)
Darcy Ellis
Fort Fraser BC Canada eh!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2011, 09:12:43 am »
Hi  Jake, Sorry, I don't know anything about sassafrass, I just noticed you're from michigan. Looks like we're not far from each other and was wondering if you were going to the show in kzoo this weekend.
Rockford, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 11:19:10 am »
Thanks Darcy, I guess I was using the term "small" as relative...I've seen a few pictured / drawing from Dean's book that showed much larger Osage being used / split for the task so that was my only reference.

My initial concern was what # I would end at with a "shorter" bow as I see most folks mentioning a minimum of 62" NTN and I doubt I will get anything over 58" from this cut.  I think I will still continue with it as it's cut and will still provide a good learning opportunity.  Maybe I'll end up with a shorter, decent # "Turkey Bow" for our upcoming Spring Turkey season  :-\  I'll attach 2 pics of the "tree" I cut...

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/d8mO8yu1ShZVny_4U-nuOA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/T-WvwLRzc4cTrqkev2AW4Q?feat=directlink

Tatoo Dave, this is Lee...not Jake but yes, I am planning on attending the Kzoo Expo.  I am hopng to be at the doors when they open them Sunday morning.  Where are you located in MI?  I am so "green" to this Sport that it's a bit embarrassing but I guess everyone starts somewhere on their journey. 

Regards,
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 06:17:25 pm »
   I've used sassafrass before it's makes a really light weight bow. I removed the sap wood.And used the back of the stave as the back. Nevewr made a limb bow all were staves. Make sure it's well seasoned or clamp it down to a form it's really light and exceptalbe to warpage. You won't beleive how light weight the wood is. I made 3 bows  2 , 60#'s and 1, 62 #'s. this on was well deflexed and it held the deflex really well.  One of the 60's I backed with BOO All turner out  to be good bows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
Crooketarrow, when you say "well seasoned" just how dryed are we talking?  Do I need to simply split, debark, seal and toss in my attic for 1-2 years or is there a better method?  If I chose to work it while it is still "green" I would be better served by having a form or caul to clamp it too and add heat?  Sorry, there are likely VERY basic questions and I have a load of research and reading to do but I didn't want April/May to come around and then deal with sap ladened spring wood and wishing I cut some during the winter.

Many thanks!

~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold