Author Topic: Dowel maker  (Read 72396 times)

Offline billmac

Dowel maker
« on: March 14, 2007, 01:20:00 pm »
Anyone use a dowel maker for making arrows?  Curious to hear your experiences / recommendations.

Offline DanaM

Re: Dowel maker
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:58:39 pm »
I will be posting pics of my homemade jobby do as soon as I get a chance.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

JSU

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 08:41:36 pm »
Thats great Dana I love homade rigs, Can,t wait for you to post this one!! I buy nothing I can rig up myself.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 01:34:13 am »
Jamie Leffler has been cranking out quite a few shafts on his dowel maker. I have a set of ash shafts he sent me.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline billmac

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:47:14 am »
The trouble I see with the dowel maker is the $$$ it would take to be able to make a variety of different arrow diameters.  Is there a baseline standard for shafts that you work from?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 10:15:41 am »
I think the one Jamie has will do 5/16" and 3/8" shafts and cost very little to purchase. I don't know how much though.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Bucknkd

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 11:55:47 am »

Here are two previous threads that cover home made shafting pretty well.

Making Split Timber Shafts   =>    http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,453.0.html

Machines/Jigs for making shafts?  =>     http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,398.0.html

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 09:35:36 pm »
Ok as promised my primitive(redneck) dowel maker let me know what ya think guys. I've only made a few arra's with it so far.
Rip our split a 3/8"x3/8" blank then use a small plane to take the corners off. Next chuck it up in yer drill and spin it thru the 3/8" hole. Move down the line and stop one size larger than finished diameter. Sand to final dimension. Leave yer shaft long and cut er to size after sanding. This contraption actually seems to work ok.

DanaM

ps. A picture of my new bandsaw also ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 09:36:43 pm »
more

[attachment deleted by admin]

Manistique, MI

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 10:25:32 pm »
.....Wow ..nice bandsaw, always wanted to buy one, never did get around to it, my hachet pouts when I use the word :D. Is it a commercial model and very expensive ? Nice dowel setup also............very cool !....................bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 11:10:32 pm »
Yes that is a commercial model. I just got one like it on Tuesday.  :-* It is well worth the $$$.  It cuts wood like butter.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 11:14:19 pm »
.....Whats brand name of bandsaw and where did y'all get it !......bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 12:21:50 am »
It is a Shop Fox by Woodstock International.  I got mine at a local woodworking shop.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 12:28:29 am »
                  Thx............looks like a 14" saw, hmm.......nice table.....one more ? if you don't mind...how large is motor.........  1 h.p. or more ?......bob

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 07:51:06 am »
Bob I don't recall the hp i"m at work so can't check think its 2 though, its a great saw for the money. Paid  a bit more than $500 but comes with the fence and miter the Jett brand(same price) didn't come with em cost an xtra $100 for fence and miter. Do you see any problems with my dowel make? it doesn't seem to weaken the shaft any, although all I've run thru it so far is ash.

DanaM

Manistique, MI