Author Topic: Dowel maker  (Read 72399 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Dowel maker
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 10:20:42 am »
Bob, it is 1 hp.  It does come with the fence and mitre, but for me the best thing about it is the blade guides.  It has bearings not cool blocks. That alone is a $125 upgrade if you buy a different saw.  The place I bought it from actually caters to cabinet makers, and since I make bows they treat me a little nicer.  ;D I paid $275 less than it was marked.

Dana, I like the dowel maker.  How thick is the metal, and how did you make the holes?  Did you thin the edge of the holes so they are knife edged?  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 10:35:55 am »
Justin I used 1/8" mild steel sandwiched two plates between wood and drilled em. Seems like ya get truer holes when ys drill it sandwiched. Then I used a larger bit to taper it down, want to find a hone tapered hone to further refine the edge.
And yer right up the roller guides, I have a 3/4" blade on and it resaws real sweet. I have small cheap bandsaw with a 3/8" blade for doin fades and such so I don't have to keep changing blades.

Actually I have an extra dowel maker if yer interested

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline billmac

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 10:40:09 am »
I just ordered one of these.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=52401&cat=1,180,42288

I'll let you know how it works.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 10:45:27 am »
Billmac, I believe that is the one Jamie has.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 11:58:32 am »
Oh sure go all high tech on us Pat ;D actually I looked at those but after buyin the saw I'm broke :(
Let us know Pat maybe a few pics also eh.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 12:16:13 pm »
Not me Dana. My set up is simular to yours. I've only made a few shafts from square stock. Most of my arrows are made from hardwood shoots.  To me, a good band saw is a more valuable piece of machinery. Looks like you got a good 'un!   Did you get it from Grizzley?     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 12:33:46 pm »
Bill let me know how that works out. I'm gonna try making one like Dana made for now. In the way of Bandsaws, I got a Jet 16" 1 1/2 hp about three years ago. It costs a little more($800), but I haven't found anything I can't do with it yet. Comes with fence mitre and roller guides. You can use it on 110 V or 220V.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 12:57:33 pm »
Whoops sorry Pat got the wrong guy :-[
I got my saw at woodworkers depot in Green Bay, WI

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2007, 12:59:52 pm »
I have the dowel maker in Dana's photo  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

DBernier

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 08:10:07 pm »
I have been very fortunate to acquire a commercial dowel maker from a friend. It works off a drill and will make dowels from 1" down to 1/4". The photo shows an Osage dowel . This unit will spit out shafts almost on a production basis. Sorry I don't have a selection of shafts to show but it will cut almost anything that grows if you can get it square.

Dick Bernier

[attachment deleted by admin]

jamie

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 11:49:20 am »
like pat said i have the one that dick showed above. only problem is it doesnt have a bushing for 11/32. so i had one made. any tool maker can make the bushing needed. it does work very well and its worth the money when manufacturing a lot of shafts. if its for yourself id use a jig like matt shaowed. its easy and cheap. when using a drill to feed anystock go with whatever gives you the highest rpms and feed slowly to avoid tearing the grain. it can be done by hand hand but if your handy at making jigs. design something that keeps the drill , tooling and wood in a solid plane . by doing so ive had shafts spine out 5-10 pounds heavier than holding the drill in my hand. its just more consistent. also really pay attention to the grain of your stock and there will be less tear out peace

DBernier

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 12:09:35 pm »
Everything Jamie said is seconded  :) The rate of feed with this unit is MOST important. I have added a couple of hold downs in the wooden "V" block to reduce the whip action of the shaft on exiting. A nice unit for a LOT of shafts. I find my plane and "V" board by hand a lot less stressful  >:(

Dick Bernier

duffontap

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2007, 03:59:22 am »
Have you guys ever seen Chet Stevenson's dowel maker?  It's pictured in one of his stories from 'The Old Bowhunter.'  I'm going to try to replicate it some day.

J. D. Duff

Offline billmac

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2007, 11:04:41 am »
Well, I got it but haven't tried it yet.   The smallest size I could get is 3/8 inch.  Am I right in thinking that's a little large for arrow shafts?  Do you think I'll have to sand that down a bit?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 11:28:43 am »
Yea you prolly will have to, as most tips and nocks are 11/32" or 5/16"

Manistique, MI