Author Topic: Dowel maker  (Read 72402 times)

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: Dowel maker
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2007, 11:59:30 am »
        Hey J.D.......I have one made by Billy Armstrong(an old oregon bowhunter)- he made them, Stevenson had one and a guy named Claude Lampert had another. Was fortunate enough to have met and hunted with Stevenson and Armstrong for rabbits a long time ago, before you were born dude ;)........guess that makes me pretty old ? Watch it !.............bob ; :D

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2007, 12:03:13 pm »
   Hey J.D...........Guess I should have added if memory serves me correctly about names in last post. Has been a long long time over 40 years.................bob

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2007, 02:40:02 am »
Here's the way I make shafts:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=53

I have a slightly more sophisticated one now that has better ways to adjust it. I have bushings for 5/16, 11/32, 23/64 and 3/8.

Reparrowman

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:51:12 am by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline DanaM

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2007, 06:06:55 am »
Is that a round over bit in the router? What size?
Sorry but yer picture is a bit out of focus.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 01:29:12 pm »
The router bit is just a straight one. Not sure a round-over would work any better, but might try it some day.

My shafts are slightly burnished by the outfeed block and look like they don't even need a finish. They do, of course.

Reparrowman
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:52:18 am by asharrow »
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 01:45:42 pm »
I got my Veritas dowling jig Friday, and used it to make 2 dozen Hickory heartwood shafts. It did a real good job, but you gotta do quite a bit of sanding. Maybe I need to read the instructions. Asharrow, I'm gonna try your setup next. I had already ordered the Veritas before I saw it. I had used a similar setup with a 3/8 half round before, but had trouble lining up the shaft to be equal on both sides. yours looks a lot easier to set up. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 01:57:44 pm »
Asharrow I think ya forgot the link :o

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 12:52:25 am »
Dana, you are right. The link is in my previous post, but here it is again:  javascript:void(0);
Grin

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=53

Reparrowman
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Minuteman

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 10:15:08 am »
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=52401&cat=1,180,42288

This is the one I have and for 40$ including shipping you can too.Thats with an extra blade,  the drill adapter, and the square stock socket.
 I made over 60 shaft blanks with it the first week I had it!
Whats a dozen arrows cost? Been making 'em so long I can't remember.
 It works well and very little sanding involved. Gotta taper to the tip and nock size though.
 Chris

Offline billmac

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2007, 11:43:42 am »
Minuteman,

That's the one I bought, but haven't tried it yet.  Do they come out pretty straight?  Did you get the 3/8" size?  How will you do the tapering?

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2007, 02:10:57 pm »
Billmac, I got mine last week. 3/8" comes out real good, but needed a lot of sanding. I did 2 dozen hiclory arrows in about 45 minutes not including sanding... Chris

Hows the string making going.

ridge

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2007, 03:26:12 pm »
 I make a lot of arrows so i bought this unit from (leevalley.com)  This is made by veritas and i paid quite a bit for it. It has paid for itself many times over. I only have the inserts for 5/16"and 3/8"and 1" which come with the basic tool but you can get setups for 5/16ths to 1" I drilled my 5/16" die out to 11/32" as i don,t do 5/16". You can easily make a new 5/16" die out of a piece of hardwood. It works on pine to purpleheart. I think it was around 170 bucks and not everyone needs a unit for mass production. The pic shows the unit with vee blocks to stabilize the spinning shaft. I recently layed a small piece of pvc pipe on the vee blocks and it works slick.   Ridge

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline billmac

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2007, 03:45:01 pm »
Chris,

Glad to hear the dowel maker works.  I didn't buy the square socket when I ordered.  I assumed that was something you could pick up at any hardware store?

I've watched the video about 3 times and made the string jig.  I got sidetracked marking trees for staves so I haven't made a string yet but I will probably get to it this weekend.

On a positive note, I've marked Ash, Elm, Maple, Hickory, Oak, White Birch, Yellow Birch, Beech, Cherry, and Hophornbeam trees for staves.  That should keep my son and I busy for the summer.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2007, 04:17:30 pm »
Chris, you notice that the tool your using gets really hot after a few shafts? The blade tends to get dull fast too. Have you guys had that problem with this tool too? How do you keep it sharp and from digging into the wood and pulling out chuncks in soft woods like VG fir?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 04:19:52 pm »
Man that sounds like a heck of a lot of wood. I'm jealous ;D On the tool, i did not want to use half inch squares (too much waste). So I riped 3/8 inch suares. Then I hand turned one end for about 3". Then I could chuck thay end straight into the drill. I still have the sockets if you want em.... Chris