Author Topic: Dowel maker  (Read 72404 times)

Offline Agbowyer

Re: Dowel maker
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 04:22:12 pm »
David, I was posting while you were sending. I didn't notice any problems on the hickory, but I'm going to do some ash probably this weekend. I got an extra blade, but I assume you sharpen just like a plane blane....Chris

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 05:50:40 pm »
Chris, those Hickory shafts must be really HEAVY! I'm going a bit lighter with the VG fir but I can never get the spine down at 3/8" to where I can use it with my 65# longbow. How do you adjust the cut or the shaft diamiter after running it throug the tools to eaqual the spine you want?

Also, how sharp should I make the blad?

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Agbowyer

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2007, 08:00:52 pm »
Hickory ia a heavy wood, but very tough. I adjust the spine by sanding. The tool has two set screw to adjust the blade. I adjusted mine then checked diameter. As far as sharpness, by the time I finish you could shave with the blade. I use a fine file and then strop with leather to polish the blade. Works good for me... Chris

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2007, 08:24:32 pm »
I will try the fine file. I have been using stones and it takes forever to try and get the blade sharp.

David
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Online Badger

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 11:32:17 am »
I have a big commercial dowel maker that will cut dowels up to 1", It cuts by using a spinning cutting head and the arrow just pushes straight through. The head is turning at around 7500 rpms. I am thinking of building a smaller slightly quieter version for my arrows. If adjust just right it will give you a highly polished burnished arrow right out of the machine, but tends to load up with some woods then starts tearing chunks out. Steve