Author Topic: Anybody know anything about this knife? ( finished pictures )  (Read 16383 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Had a fella give me this thing today, said it was too ugly for him. ;D  He found it in an old wrecked car.
   It sure is ugly, but I can see past all the ugly stuff and see the potential for a "pretty" knife.  All I gotta do is get rid of all the "ugly" ;D

The handle was some kind of deer foot and was epoxied to the shank (ugly). The blade was covered in surface rust too, but it cleaned up nicely.  I plan to attach a nice stag handle and use a thicker piece of brass for the finger guard.

It's stamped Solingen Germany on one side of the blade and has a gloved hand with 3 arrows sticking out of it on the other.  I don't recognise this symbol ???   Anybody have any ideas as to the maker or a name?
   Did I mess up by taking it apart?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 11:26:32 pm by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Anybody know anything about this knife?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 08:49:28 pm »
I'm not familiar with the logo, either-but if it's Solingen steel, that's all that matters-it's a good knife.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 09:01:28 pm »
not that i know
but it may have been sold as a blank and he purchaser put the deer foot on it
but ya,good steel none the less
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 09:17:09 pm »
 Yep! I've seen them before. The Fork is missing from the set. It is really good steel as you can tell with the Solingen stamp. The set came with the deer feet. They were a fancy carving set I believe from the mid to late fifties.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:46:02 pm »
Kinda thought you might know a little something about it Eddie.
 I figured it would be good steel too.  I've never seen any knife...especially an older one, made from solingen steel that wasn't.

I'll dress it up with a nice Elk or whitetail handle and put it to use. 
 Wish I knew a name though :-\
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:23:51 pm »
Seen a set of them sell on ebay last week that had  patina and surface rust on them for $2000!  :o ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 12:25:50 am »
Timo, I wasn't go say anything about, Patina, but you let the cat out of the bag now. Anyway's the fork is missing.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 12:46:27 am »

Yep, they were somewhat common.  Like some sort of German hunting lodge set.  Good steel though.  I remember when I was a kid you could get a solingen steel knife for around ten dollars or less.  They were imported, and did not make too much of a fuss, among knife people, but everyone that I knew that had one kept it!   ;)  I have an old one I picked up at a garage sale.  Stag handle.  But the deer foot ones also came just by itself, without the fork,  I have seen them, when I was a teen ager, in a sheath.  I had a set, of stag handle knifes, one was a large somewhat bowie style, with a small skinner on the same sheath, for the bigger knife. plus a sharpening stone.  Again great steel.  Each of them would shave you.  I once bought a knife for five dollars, at a little grocery store, on the street where I used to live west of Lake Worth, Florida,  and it had plastic simulated black bone handles scales.  BUT,..... the blade was Solingen, and it too would shave you.  Too bad those days are gone.  I have also seen similar knives  with the deer foot handle, advertised, from Poland, and checklosvakia, I believe.  But you will have a good knife, once you replace the handle, and finger guard. 8)
Too bad he didn't have the set, and you didn't get on here before cleaning it up...... ::)  $2,000.00 for an old set huh?  Dang! :o I am going to have to start checking the flea markets again...... :o

Wayne

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 12:54:40 am »
I believe 'ol Tim might have been pulling my leg a little about that 2 grand :D  I checked the completed listings on ebay and didn't find anything even close to that.   In fact, they seem to be pretty common (and cheap) 
 As best I can tell, it's an "Edge" brand knife and I even saw one that had sold for under $10 a few days ago.     Going that cheap, a fella could afford to buy them just to reuse the blades. :o

I'll post a picture of it after I fix it up a little.

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 08:44:12 am »
ME? pulling legs? ;D I wouldn't do that to such a fine lad as yourself now Slickfoot! ;D I was hoping the Eddie would ice the cake a bit, and get you to lookin....Rekon it was sweet enough? ;D

It is good steel boy, I have several old steak knives that I keep in the shop made from that steel.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:56 am »
Ha!  You guys had me goin while I was reading it!  ;D
1’—>1’

Offline Treene

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 10:22:16 am »
Well, you can buy knives like this in Germany in tourist shops but the steel is ok.

Treene
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:53:07 am by Treene »

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
I used to have a bunch of Buck Creek, Kissing Cranes, Fighting Roosters, and more of those old Solingen knives-hard to beat, for sure. My dad carried a Solingen German Boker every day of his life since way back before I was born. I can't ever remember him without it.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:37:40 pm »
i've seen the maker's stamp before but can't remember the name of the maker.  the metal is probably 1090 or 1095 carbon steel.  it would make a first rate belt knife using a piece of antler.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:53:54 pm »
That's actually a Bavarian, probably Austrian, too, breakfast knife. Very traditional. My Grandpa used to have one, too.
The blade is made in Solingen, half hour north of Cologne, they have many knife factories there, a worldwide business.
That foot is of a roe buck.
Frank from Germany...