Author Topic: apache bow wood  (Read 15169 times)

Offline Blacktail

apache bow wood
« on: March 19, 2010, 06:48:09 pm »
there is a book i have and it has a apache bow that i really want to make...but,it doesn't give any info on the bow..but,i do have the encyclopedia of native Americans...it only list 2 kinds of bow Osage and oak...my question is what kind of oak do you think they used...i am doing some more looking around for info on length and sinew backing if you could help that would be great..john

Offline bcbull

Re: apache bow wood
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 06:55:06 pm »
john  white oak  has worked good on some iv made  but never tryed a apache bow  brock

half eye

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »
Blacktail,
       From some research I did, there were references to the fact that Apache's were very adept at reworking the rims of wagon wheels, utilizing the steam bent cruves and the fact that they were usually quite straight grained. It is also may understanding that they would also make use of barrell staves from large water type barrels.
       The only other thing I found out was that the Apache had two types of bows; double curved and straight "D" bows, some were backed and some were not. But they went on to say that there were as many straight as double bent (from museum examples.
        I might be able to find some photos of specimens.....I got some squirreled away someplace....if that would help.
Rich

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 07:07:22 pm »
blacltail man wish i knew spec s there id kind a like to try it myself but think id use osage  let us know what ya come up with ill be watchin this brock

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:50:04 pm »
The Apaches lived in quite a large range and were adept at using anything they could get their hands on.  The Apaches in Texas would most likely use osage, while the Apaches further west would use mulberry.  But any local wood could be used: juniper, various elms, various oaks (including live oak), and any local "ironwood" species.  Most Apache bows that I've seen were of the simple "D" type and most of the arrows were a composite of reed with hardwood foreshafts.  However, the Apache would borrow designs from nearby tribes (like the double curve design) and would often use bows taken in battle as well.

Here's a link to a thread of mine that shows an Apache-style set.  The bow is made of hickory.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13593.0.html

Heres another bow, same basic design, made of juniper.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13588.0.html
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:58:59 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:56:34 pm »
hey rich thanks for the info..its pritty crazy how they used wagon wheel and barrells..i have to say indians are very smart people..in fact so smart it kind of scary...hey patrick that is some great stuff you have made..you really do some art work there...since you seem to have some info on these people...do you think that a 50"white oak would be o.k. with out sinew and still get a 20"draw...i am hoping that 50"falls in there profile...john

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:03:42 pm »
patrick,do you have the book...bows,arrows,quivers of the American frontier by john baldwin....if so the bow is on page 68 and its the bow that is in the quiver that is painted black with either white or gold circle's...john

half eye

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:41:54 am »
Blacktail,
      Here is what I could find on Apache bows....hope the pics help
pic1 Jicarilla, Apache (1870) collected by Steven Jewett....1844-1916
pic2 Chiricahua, Apache  (1900) Raymond Harrington...1909
Pic3 Chiricahua Apache  (K'aa bizis)  (1880)   Collected by General Nelson Miles between 1886-1890

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline uwe

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 05:11:39 pm »
Didn`t the tribes use even Mesquite, Mulberry and Willow?

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 05:38:50 pm »
Blacktail, the bow on pg 68 doesn't have a description but it looks like a simple D bow painted with white dots on a black background (on the back of the bow).

As far as getting a 20" draw from a 50" long, unbacked bow, it shouldn't be a problem with white oak...unless the bow is narrower than 1-1/8" and pulls more than 50#.  When you start getting into the 50+ poundages, you need to make the bow wider.  And yes, 50" is within the range of the bow lengths of the Apache bows I've seen, especially with the Kiowa Apaches.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jbnizzle

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:42 pm »
Hey blacktail
                  Reginald Laubin says Mahogany. Iv'e seen some at the Pow wows from Apache/Ute mix who
   made thier's from white oak

Johnny b.
Army Drill Sergeant , you grew em now hold em up.