Author Topic: Yew/Bone/Damascus knife  (Read 7557 times)

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
Yew/Bone/Damascus knife
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:48 am »
Hi All,

Just finished off this knife.  The handle is english yew with bone caps, finished in danish oil and beeswax.  The simple shape seems to feel good in my hand.  I'm afraid I'm not the maker of the blade, but it seems to be very good steel, and holds a keen edge.  I've had the blade for some years now, after I bought it thinking about it as a future project.  Overall length is just under 8 inches.

Now I have to make a sheath.  What style do you think would suit it best?  I've made scandinavian style in the past but might make something different for this knife.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:44:10 am by bobnewboy »
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline DanaM

Re: Yew/Bone/Damascus knife
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:12:32 am »
Very nice :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:36:02 am »
I've got some feathers....oopps this isn't trading post!! LOL :D

Very nice knife... the yew and damascus make an interesting combination!! :)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pennhawk

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 01:18:29 am »
Nice knife, how about a sheath from the english yew to match the handle?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 01:34:31 pm »
Beautiful work.I like that one a lot. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:10:05 am »
WOW,if i had money i would really buy that from you...great work..john

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 12:39:07 am »
WOW! That's a fine looking knife! Excellent craftsmanship!
Living a dream...

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 09:19:29 am »
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them.  I have another small piece of yew from the same tree, and have started a wooden sheath (scabbard??), but I'm none too sure about how to make the belt loop attachment.  Any suggestions?  I also have a small shoulder of 'Mulberry' bag leather, bought as 'seconds' which is a good colour match and a nice thickness to make a scandinavian style sheath.  The only problem with that is leather is a little oily and may not form as well as veg tanned would.  But what the heck, I'll have a go, and will report back with pictures when I get a bit further.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 02:08:37 pm »
great looking knife. The Yew sheath would do it justice since the blade is a scottish scian dubh (skeen doo). I have made several of these and it is actually a sock knife.
Beautiful work!
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 04:15:21 pm »
Fine looking knife.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 06:14:02 pm »
Good looking knife.  I think it's just begging for a slide on sheath that looks just like the handle.

Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 07:31:42 pm »
Beautiful knife! I'm going to have to learn how to do this damascus thing..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:42:11 am »
Looks nice!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 06:19:24 am »
I love this knife...Ive always been a fan of damascus blades and the yew and bone set it off!  I wish I had the skill to do that
GBR!

Offline bobnewboy

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 06:53:22 pm »
Hi All,

I've been really busy at work, and then had problems with finishes, then......but anyway I've done a sheath for the knife now  :D

I agreed with a lot of you that a yew and bone sheath would be good, so that's what I made.  The yew block was split and then routed round an outline of the blade using a dremel with an end-cutter, and then glued back together with the knife blade in situ.  The blade was wrapped in plastic sandwich wrap to stop the glue hanging onto it.  It didnt work the first time, and I broke the slotted bone piece pulling the *!*!*!! blade out.  Grrrr.  Second time around I made sure with extra wraps of plastic, and then pierced a new piece of bone, and glued that plus a capping piece onto the wood block.  This time it all came out well, and the sheath even retains the blade positively but gently somehow - nice but unexpected!

The oiled finish on the knife handle was giving me some problems.  For some reason it remained slightly tacky regardless of how long I left it, or heated it, or wiped it down with various treatments.  In the end I used 1200 grade sandpaper and took it all off again.  I then refinished the knife and sheath in a satin matt varnish, which set properly this time.  It feels much nicer in the hand, and doesnt pick up dirty marks. 

So, here are the pictures....note that the 3rd one shows the sheath up the 'wrong way'.

[attachment deleted by admin]