Linked Events

• Glass Buttes Knap In: March 22, 2008 - March 31, 2008

Author Topic: glass buttes knapp-in  (Read 17641 times)

Offline juniper junkie

glass buttes knapp-in
« on: March 15, 2007, 02:49:27 am »
glass buttes knapp-in will be the last week of march. it is in the central oregon desert about 70 miles east of Bend. primitive camping with port-a-potties, no water. weather can be difficult be prepared. lots of talented knappers and tons of obsidian.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: glass buttes knapp-in
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 02:18:15 am »
This was a lot of fun this year! We had sun and temps up to 70 and an hour later snow and temps in the 20s. Much clamer weather than last year!  ;D  Prospected obsidian, broke rock and shot bows and arrows and had a blast camping out. Cant wait till next year!

David T.
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
Is there a date for a 2008 Glass Butte Knapp-in?

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 10:26:37 pm »
Man I wish I could make that one - would be right up my alley! Can't squeeze that in with the classic, if I even make that one - how does one find the time to do everything he/she wants :-\? No can do.....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Knocker

• Tumwater, Washington
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 12:23:42 am »
Cowboy,

That date was for the 2007 Knapp in.  I am hoping there will be one in 2008, and that is what I am trying to find out.  March sounds like it would be pretty cold, April/May would be more my speed...  :-)

Keith
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from
us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down
and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set
lightly upon you, and may posterity forget ...

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 11:32:50 am »
the knap-in is held the last week of march. always iffy weather so be prepared.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 09:00:34 pm »
Oh Yeah! Last year it was 70 on the first day and the next morning the temp dropped to 20 and it started snowing. Make sure you are prepared from anything from warm and sunny to freezing and a blizzard. Weather can change in less than ten minutes out there in the desert! But boy is it a heck of a good time!!!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline D. Tiller

2008 Glass Buttes Knapp Inn
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 06:14:37 pm »
This year the knapp in will be March 22 - March 31st. This is located between Bend and Burns WA at what is known as Glass Butes. Come and join us this year! Just make sure you pack and prepare for any type of weather. Temps can swing from 70's down to the 20's and go from Sunny to rain to snow in little under an hour. But its a hoot of a good time! Plus there are mountains of obsidian to knapp!!!

If anyone can add some more info on the Knapp Inn please do! This annual event is getting bigger every year.  I have met people like Steve Allelie (Spelling?) and Emmery Koontz (spelling?) at this knapp Inn. Tends to bring out some of the best knappers in the Western US.

Fair warning camping is primitive and you should bring your own pottable water. There are usually portapoties available. Be prepared since the closest civilization is 50 - 80 miles away.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 02:53:14 am by Calendargirl »

Mattman

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 02:06:45 am »
D. Tiller,

You're referring to the legendary Emory Coons.

http://www.thedalleschronicle.com/news/2006/05/local05-18-06-02.shtm
http://www.djwd.net/members/Thundereggs/coons.html
http://www.oregonthundereggs.com/coons.html
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/reply/114477/t/Re-FIRE-Obsidian-knife.html
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2449428950050073053UqsAQd
http://www.dragonsayeauctions.com/FS/Emory.html
http://www.dragonsayeauctions.com/Coons-Lapidary,name,FIREOBSIDIAN,username,100007,user_id,shop

I've met Emory too and his father as well; the nicest and most talented individuals you'd ever care to meet. Emory is nothing short of a modern day Michelangelo; the Van Gogh of knapping, a legendary lapidary. He has a customized copper bopper that he uses with a surgeon's precision. I own an EC original that I bought off his truck over near Riley, Oregon. If you get a chance to meet this guy, don't pass it up. He's so humble and down to earth you might initially mistake him for "simple" but there's a complex circuitry of genius at work in that mind of his.

Mattman

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 04:44:45 am »
Yep! Thats the guy. He's pretty reserved until you start talking stone. Very helpful too. I am really going to have to pick his brain if he shows up at the Buttes this year. Going to have to limit my stay though to just the opening weekend. Got to get back to work and home Monday evening. Bummer!

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 10:25:02 pm »
Everyone sure that the Glass Buttes Knapp Inn is the 22 through the 30th?  ??? ???

Mattman

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 03:33:21 am »
Yep. But I hear most of the big names are showing up for the last weekend in case that matters.

Mattman

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 01:30:02 am »
got home today, had to work early in the morning. had a great time, got a bunch of obsidian, learned a lot and made several preforms. we got a large rock of silver sheen and took it to emery coons to break up for us, and after he broke off the flakes, he proceeded to rough out this incredible large blade in about 15 minutes! looking forward to getting some sleep after listening to Keenan's snoring :P

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 11:44:28 pm »
Me Too! But heck I thought that was you!!!  ;D

David T