Author Topic: "Slim Shady".....Birth of a pine tree Lots of pics  (Read 7436 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: "Slim Shady".....Birth of a pine tree Lots of pics
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2010, 10:29:27 am »
Glad ya'll like it, and hope the pictures help some of you.

Bonepile, for the serrating I hammer my flaker tip flat and use the edge.  It's thinner than a dime, and I have to sharpen it a couple times just to do the serrations on one point.

Jamie, keeping the platform on center helps keep the flake scars the same depth on both sides and keeps it balanced.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2010, 10:54:50 am »
Cool knappalong Thanks for sharing
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2010, 11:02:45 am »
You and Jesse are gonna have to give me some lessons at Pappy's. That's another perfect point...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 02:27:30 pm »
Sweeeeet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline meximike

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2010, 01:18:06 am »
Cool, I learned something from that. Your preform explains alot of what I have been doing wrong with my pine trees. Are you doing any percussion or is it mostly pressure..? MexiMike

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 02:02:44 am »
The only percussion is just that of thinning the biface down.  After that...it's all pressure.   I spend as much time on the preform as I do the rest of the point.  It's important to get the preform as straight and balanced as possible because once you run those last pressure passes, you got what you got.  There is no going back and straightening things out. ;)
  I'm glad to see that somebody gained a little from the pictures. ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 10:50:52 am »
Thanks for posting those pictures.  I took a lot from them.  What is the history on these heads?  Where found, time frames, etc?  They're big for arrowheads, anyone used them for hunting?
1’—>1’

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2010, 08:32:50 pm »
Parnell,  The best I can gather they came fromthe archiac period and are found mostly in KY, TN and IN.  They are associated with major waterways and were believed to be for fishing.

Offline meximike

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 12:51:20 am »
I made one today with no so good results. It was going to be real nice till I blew the ear of while notching. I punch notch . Maybe this is where I went wrong. How do I keep the ears on?