Author Topic: easy way to kill turkey  (Read 9851 times)

Offline woodstick

Re: easy way to kill turkey
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 09:39:12 pm »
gota call em in. its the whole hunt that is great.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline yazoo

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 09:52:48 pm »
I still get to hear gobbling , fighting, strutting,,purring ,spit and drum,,,,I just choose to let a real hen do my calling,,our season here in the mountians is to early,,and the hen ratio is 99 to 1,,,I have been in the woods all week cutting osage,, just one gobble on roost ,,but about four oclock they will cut loose and gobble there heads off,, we are putting some popup blinds up tonite,,I dont like to spook turkeys after I have there pattern down,,because I dont want to see birds while I am scouting,,If you interact with the birds you could change there patterns,,
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline sailordad

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2010, 11:12:12 pm »
Mike your absolutely right about changing their patterns by interacting with them
here in mn we have a lot of small parcel farm land.one farm right ontop of the other in some areas
with all the open fields and few landowners letting ya use their land these days
i do my scouting from the road with a good pair of field glasses
i hunt the same land year after year so i know the terrain,when i go out the night before my week to hunt to set blinds
i very carefully and quietly walk the trails and look for sign,and never try calling untill the next day just after sun up,this way i know were thier travel routes are and
where i should put the blinds.
minimal interferance almost guarantees they wont change their patterns
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2010, 11:16:16 pm »
A week from this Saturday...and I will show you...The Easy Way To Kill Turkey........ >:D......last Year I got Two for One on Toms....aint never seen that before in my Life...Shoot one and have another try to kill it...and then drop Him....I bet that won't happen agin in my lifetime......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline yazoo

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 11:02:31 am »
I had the same thing happen here in tn,, I shot a tom and his 3 buddys attacked him for 15 min , spured him pecked his feathers out,,I just sat there and watched,, I dont know why them did this,, I have killed a few hundred birds only time I saw this
if you can shoot over them , they ain't to far

Offline lowell

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 12:57:53 pm »
With all these easy ways to kill a turkey ....the 2010 picture section should be busy soon!! ;D ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline John K

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 03:10:28 pm »
I'll be out April 21st-25th this year. Maybe i'll be able to get my picture up this year. Here is one of my decoys i'm going to use.  :D

[attachment deleted by admin]
The only way to fail is to never start !

Cacatch

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 03:43:14 pm »
You guys talking about turkeys attacking dead companions for no apparent reason... We used to have an old tom turkey and a few hens on our farm. The old tom would agresively attack old empty plastic jugs, like of motor oil, if we had any laying around, or cardboard boxes, any inanimate object that tickled his fancy. At first it would look like an attack, like somehow the object angered him in some way...but then...toward the end it would turn into more of a violent romance  :o ....with the jug or box on the receiving end. No joke.  Turkeys are messed up. We never did figure out where his desire came from to mutilate and violate inanimate objects.

CP

Offline sailordad

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 07:21:53 pm »
cacatch   horny toms when they get the juices overflowing will find a way of release (like males of all species)
              if you think he was violant to the jugs,you should see how mean they are on hens

as far as turkeys attacking dead friends
well its a dominance thing
turkeys fight for dominance all day long,the boss tom in tha a.m. may not be the boss in the after noon or evening
most hunters shoot or try to shoot the boss tom,the one that does the strutting
when he goes down the others attack trying to gain dominance in the flock
if you shoot a jake other jakes or toms that are not dominant will attack it to establish dominance
hell ive even seen,have to check the camera,and may have on film hens strutting
another dominance thing for the hens
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2010, 10:32:32 pm »
 If you let them go long enough they will also butter baste that dead boy for you,,If you know what I mean.  ::) I had a friend one year that didn't want to eat his bird after it had been gang raped by Jakes, taking turns.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 01:27:44 am »
I've seen them do that Eddie. I've also seen them so excited they'd do it solo.   I killed a big gobbler a few years ago that was "dry humping" ;D
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 02:46:45 am »
           Now we are a little Off Subject here Boyz.....lets quit Choking Chickens...and talk Turkeys again.......... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2010, 08:34:19 am »
Just about everytime I have killed one and there are others around they have done that,I figured that is why the limit in TN. is one a day. I call  ,stalk and ambush ,what ever it takes.They are fun
to hunt but much more fun for me to eat. Some around here won't kill a Jake either,the only bad thing I have found about killing a Jake is the breast are smaller and usually one less primary feather
on each side. :) ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Cacatch

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2010, 10:37:59 am »
If you let them go long enough they will also butter baste that dead boy for you,,If you know what I mean.  ::) I had a friend one year that didn't want to eat his bird after it had been gang raped by Jakes, taking turns.

ROTFLMAO   That is truly funny and ill both at the same time.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2010, 01:16:17 pm »
    I'm a caller not a ambusher.If thats all you what out of your hunting is to ambush and kill a gobbler thats fine with me.But you don't want to hunt around here you won't be called a turkey hunter.My granddad spring gobbler hunted for 82 springs in a row killed over 250 gobblers.And he wouldn't even use a decoy.He concered this ambushing.He went out to Neb. I think he hunted so many states I can't remember them all.Anyway the guy he hunted with used a gobbler fan he said he never laughed so hard.I can imagion what he'd think of BETESY.
   THERE IS NO EASY WAY TO KILL A GOBBLER.

DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW IS
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING