Author Topic: Elm Questions...where ya at DCM? (with pictures)  (Read 4773 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Elm Questions...where ya at DCM? (with pictures)
« on: March 23, 2010, 11:47:23 pm »
I cut these Elms this evening and can't stand not knowing exactly which sub-species it is.
 I know from the corky wings that it's either "winged" or "rock" elm...but I can't figure out which is which ???
 This first set of pictures is from a scrubby little tree I cut in the edge of a field (if that matters)

Both trees look a lot alike, but there is some subtle differences and I just can't lay a finger on it.
 I've read that Elm varies greatly from tree to tree, so who knows...it may be the same stuff.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline FlintWalker

Re: Elm Questions...where ya at DCM? (with pictures)
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 11:50:07 pm »
Here's the other tree.  It was cut in the woods and was a good bit bigger. It has a nice red heart, while the other one had virtually no heart wood.

Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 12:37:50 am »
Man,talk about the nut fallin close! I swear that is a mini me for sure! :o

Cool lookin kid. 8)

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
Yea...he's mine ;D That was supposed to be a smile  :D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:52:22 am »
Great picture of Mason Shannon :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Cacatch

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 10:07:00 am »
I'll throw a half-educated guess out and then see if I'm right or not...I'd say they're both rock elm, and that the "heart" on the one is not really heartwood, but dutch elm disease, which starts in the core like that.

Let's see what Hillbilly and the other guys say.  ;)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 12:23:52 pm »
Shannon, I'm not really familiar with rock elm (we don't have it here,) but I'd say that your stuff looks identical to winged elm, especially the first one. The second one I'm not as sure about. The USDA map has rock elm in KY mainly clustered in the north-central part of the state, but it also shows it growing in a couple TN counties along the KY border.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 08:30:01 pm »
Steve, I live about 10 miles north of the Tn state line.  So it could be rock elm.  I'm starting to think it's all wingd elm though.  These trees are absolutly everywhere around here and I just don't think rock elm is that common.    I'd rather it be winged anyway.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:49:02 pm »
Winged elm is one of the densest of the elms. Here's the range maps for rock elm:

Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 10:16:08 pm »
I live riiiiigggggghhhhhhtt................

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 10:51:03 pm »
Looks like a smile to me ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

DCM4

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:50 am »
Sorry I missed this thread Shannon.  I usually just tromp around in Bows.

I reckon I've cut more like the second tree than the first.  But I've only cut a handful of elms.  A little of it goes a long way... ;-).

I believe that young-un is probably the star of this show, but I'd love to follow along as you work up some of that wood.  Post pics, of both, as you make progress.

Enjoyed our visit last night.