Author Topic: Small Game Points - Sticky  (Read 170309 times)

Offline Ontario Archer

Re: Small Game Points - Sticky
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2015, 11:16:46 am »
Hello everyone,
     I'm new to the forum, though I've been reading it for years, so thanks to you all for sharing your knowledge. Here is a pic of my usual small game/stumping blunts. I use a screw driven backward into the end of my natural shoot shafts. I also add a small washer for extra weight and electrical tape around the very end of the shaft, which prevents splitting. It costs only pennies, and I've never had one break or split on me after years of using this type of point.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2015, 08:16:53 pm »
Nice.............. keen idea
DBar
Oh ya .....welcome, hope to see more of your work
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2015, 04:03:52 pm »
http://www.hardwarestore.com/1-2-brass-pex-plug-701953.aspx

Sorry, they block me posting pics directly at work.  basically, just slip this over a shaft.   If you file that rim a bit, you can make a sharper edge on the blunt all the way round.

Offline Blob

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2015, 07:40:27 pm »
http://www.hardwarestore.com/1-2-brass-pex-plug-701953.aspx

Sorry, they block me posting pics directly at work.  basically, just slip this over a shaft.   If you file that rim a bit, you can make a sharper edge on the blunt all the way round.

I didn't file these at all but I did add some heat shrink tubing.

Offline loon

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2016, 01:41:15 am »
Sucks that the attachments on the first post are gone... I want to make blunt arrows for target shooting (having them bounce off)
This sounds good, it's just like the "nutter" in the OP? And what were they doing with the planing? Barreling? Tapering the point so the nut would stick in?

Code: [Select]
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/117201-cheep-squirrl-rino-arrows.html
The tarantula sounds nice though. Wish there still were pictures. I might also go with a normal large bolt and PEX.. though I think that'd bury itself too much

This also seems very nice
Code: [Select]
http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/33550
I'm not sure of what would be best for bamboo. Could just put a peg in if it's hollow, treat tonkin like wood.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 01:45:53 am by loon »

Offline TimBo

« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2018, 09:21:09 pm »
Just bringing this back to the top in case the admins want to re-sticky it. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2018, 10:10:28 am »
Thanks.Some nice effective simple blunts shown.Here's mine.Dogwood shafts with a 20 gauge shotgun shell.More than does the job.I think they mass weigh over 800 grains....lol.

BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2018, 11:43:52 am »
Ed, those are the high brass type shells?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2018, 06:03:47 pm »
I don't know.Never heard them called that.They are just cheap center shot 2 and 3/4 inch regular shotgun shells far as I know.The plastic bee bee casing is thrown away.The brass just put on there to protect the wood head from rocks and such of course.All I know is a body blow from them immobilizes the squirrels and cotton tails here.They are not too practical or advisable to shoot at 3D targets making big deep dents and I'd hate to get hit in the center of my back.....lol.Pretty sure they'd bust a vertebra or a shoulder blade.
BowEd
Ed

Offline TimBo

« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2018, 11:55:40 am »
Those look like they would do the trick! 

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #55 on: February 06, 2018, 12:58:21 pm »
They certainly look effective!  The "high brass shells" are generally heavier hunting loads, and magnum loads, pheasants, waterfowl, etc.; "low brass" are target, skeet, etc.  I will have to check my cache and junk shell bag for some usable empties.  We make a habit of picking spent cases wherever we find the, so I have plenty!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #56 on: February 06, 2018, 06:05:25 pm »
I see...about the brass height.Don't think I've ever bought trap & skeet  loads then I guess.All of the blunts I've seen displayed will do a damn damn really.There fun arrows for stump shooting too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2018, 12:35:33 am »
What size shoots do you start with?  20 ga. Is about .62 cal or so.  Do you fletch with a standard 3 feather? Or a 4 or more?
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2018, 07:06:19 am »
A person will need to start with thicker than normal shoots of course or be picky about the kind harvested.While harvesting a person will see that all shoots are'nt the same in their taper.I'll harvest ones that fit the brass nicely.With the arrow a shade longer of 3" or so I increase the thickness just on the last 3" on the tip end.Looking sort of bulbous.The rest of the shaft is spined to the bow and the normal thickness I like it.Helps to harvest a lot of shoots pick through the ones that suit ya.
Fletching is just your standard 3 feather fletch.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:16:33 am by BowEd »
BowEd
Ed