Author Topic: need ideas  (Read 3532 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
need ideas
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:45:57 pm »
ok this summer i am planning on a gathering for my area of texas that crossroads primitive archery  will put on my master plan is for it to be a bowbuild,knapp in,shoot,and primitive skills training. i know thats alot to do and plan and gathering mats for it all will take alot of time i would like some ideas on how to set this up. it will be the clubs first main gathering and will plan to do it every year.  here is my # 361-935-1715 i would like to talk to on the phone with someone that has ran and have had gatherings before. i dont have a date set but hope soon i will it will be a summer event the only problem i see will be planning around the hurricane season but that wont be to bad atleast you can see them coming for a long ways lol  :D. i have  7 acres to work with i plan on the shoot to be a challenge by following trails and shooting at hard to reach targets. for the bow building part i am not a good bow builder yet so am looking for a bow building instructor to put it on if you are  interested please call me and we can talk on what you have a idea of. and the knapping part can be put to the side if needed  that can be done at nite around the camp fire. hope to hear from some one soon ttyl

sterling
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline aero86

Re: need ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 07:30:15 pm »
depending on when, i might be able to make it.  though, im not a master of anything, i can break rocks at least!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:22:18 pm »
sweet sounds good

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:02:28 am »
Sounds good,You are right ,it is a lot of work and planning,You may be surprised at the turn out but if it is like most it takes time to get going,you just have to be patient and it will grow.I started the Classic 13 years ago and we had about 30 on the first, now 400,every year I plan for more than I think and ever year I learn,it is always a work in progress.You do what you can do and try and keep all the fires put out and learn,then try and do better next year.I don't know what you are expecting but don't be disappointed if the turn out is small to start with,if it is a good event the word will travel like wild fire and it will grow,I think it is better if they start small so you have time to adjust,I don't know what I would have done if the first year it was like it is now.Good luck with it and if I can help just let me know,we need a lot more of this.  :)
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:38:42 am »
evrything pappy said plus one other . dont fret over every detail. keep it laid back. aside from the occassional nuclear family showing up for entertainment, the majority of the crowd will be laid back. they will also be more than willing to pitch in and show what they know. my event started like pappys' about 30, now we range from 150 to 250. the people who came the year or years before are like family and jump right in to give you a hand. as for the bows do as much prep as possible. for most people it takes more than one day or even two to finish a bow. i floor tiller about 25-30 staves and usually run out immediately. peace and have fun.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 10:54:22 am »
thanx Pappy and jamie for the great advice i am going to try to cover all that i want to do but i know it all wont happen the first year i just want it to to be a good family style gathering where you can hang out get some good eats ,have a good laugh, and enjoy yourself.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:30:05 pm »
well i have been doing some thinking if i cant gather the wood for the bow building part i would like to find some one that will give some demos on bow building so if any one is interested in dong that pleas give me a call  ;D 361-935-1715 and we can talk ttys

sterling