Author Topic: Growing Osage  (Read 5148 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Growing Osage
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:05:06 pm »
I recently received 6 hedge apples and I want to pant them to see if I can start some trees....the apples are dry though....is this ok? if so does anyone have any experience in starting osage from seeds?  where do I start?

Thanks,
Kyler
GBR!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Growing Osage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:43 pm »
From my plant book, The Manual Of Woody Landscape Plants, by Michael A. Dirr...."seeds exhibit a slight dormancy which can be overcome by stratification for 30 days at 41 deg(F) or by soaking in water for 48 hours".   
   Most woody plant seeds will go into a dormancy when dry and some even when fresh. This dormancy will need to be broken for the seeds to germinate.   The way I have heard of this being done with osage is to place the hedge apples in a bucket of water and let them over winter. In the spring pour the slurry of the pulp and seeds in a trench and cover it. After a short time they will germinate. In this situation I would allow the seedlings to grow until next spring then transplant them where you want them.   
   If you can clean the seeds from the dried fruit, I would place them in a zip lock bag with some damp(not wet) sand, place them in the refrigerator for a month then take them out and plant them. The month in the cool frig should break the dormancy and allow them to germinate.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:08 pm »
The slurry and trench method is the exact way I was told the old timers here in Mo. created all our hedge rows. We have miles and miles of them. ;

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:36:38 pm »
no kidding.  just come to texas, you can get all you want..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:52:13 pm »
Anyone feel like posting some seeds to Ireland...? ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:14:57 am »
 I've got to in my front yard. They were 2' tall when I planted them 4 years ago and they are still 2' tall. Even after tons of fertilizer and water.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 02:34:36 am »
If I take the fruit and freeze them and un freeze them a few times in an ice cream bucket will that do the trick? I guess I have enough of them i can try the zip loc and the sand  too  ;D
GBR!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:55:31 am »
Ky......stick them in the Refrigerator...and forget them for a Month...then either soak them in a Bucket of water till the seeds slough off...or you can do like We did...and scrape them all off like scraping Corn off a Cob...then you can either just bury them...or put them in rooting medium...and grow starters...and then transplant them where you want them later...the ole slop in a Bucket seems to work just fine though....and just pour it in spots or a Trough...and let them grow.......
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 06:17:08 pm »
Thanks guys!  I got about 100 seeds out of one of the dried fruits.  wrapped them in a damp paper towel and put them in a ziplock in the fridge....I'll leave them in the fridge for the next month and see if they take root  ;D
GBR!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 06:35:33 pm »
Man that must have been a small fruit.... I got over a thousand from two Apples
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 06:45:37 pm »
im sure I missed quite a few I was being pretty picky with em
GBR!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2010, 11:15:55 am »
Commercial growers all use tree shelters for seedlings. I suspect these tube like shelters would greatly increase the growth rate of osage.

I have grown a bunch of osage seedlings in the past, gave them all away to folk who wanted to try to grow their own bow staves.

I sprouted a bunch of pecan trees from nuts last year and will try the tree shelters on a few of the seedlings to see how well they work.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2010, 11:22:06 am »
Your seeds will not sprout or "take root" in the refrigerated baggie. What the chill period does is break the dormancy of the seed which will allow them yo germinate when planted. It may take 2 weeks to a month for the germination to take place after planting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 07:22:36 pm »
 I brought home some seeds from SC a few years ago and sprouted them in those little Plant Rooting kits you get from Ace Hardware. They came up in two weeks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys Pat I put them in the paper towels because i didn't have any sand handy.  Im also trying the "slurry" method to break the dormancy.  I had one that was still soft so I put it in a small bucket full of water and I am going to freeze it and let it thaw and continue the process until it turns into a mush.  I will then poor the slurry into a larger planter and see if they come up.  The other seeds I will leave in the fridge for a month and then plant them in a seed starting kit and see what happens.  Never learn by not doing anything right  :P

-Ky
GBR!