Author Topic: Look at my new friend  (Read 6470 times)

Lombard

Look at my new friend
« on: March 25, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »
Met a kind Gentleman over here, while working in Abbeville, SC. We have had several conversations over breakfast, as we both enjoy archery. He supplied me with some nice Persimmon to make bows with, with the agreement that I would make him a longbow. Well the wood is quartered and drying, with one of the quarters reduced to near bow dimensions. It pulled wicked reflex right after being split, so that is how I restrained it to a beam in my barn, to keep it from twisting. Well any way, the wood still needs to lose a good bit of moisture before continuing. So I am giving him a nice bow in the near future, and just like that he says come over to the house, he had something for me.

The all round kindness, and generosity of the folks in SC has been incredible. I meet the nicest people here. Folks have given me food, bow wood, Bamboo, good conversation, friendship, offers to go hunting, and now this. I was blown away. What do you all think about this? Introducing my new friend, name as yet unknown.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Look at my new friend
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »
Looks like a lifelong hunting partner right there.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

HatchA

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 09:51:50 pm »
Cute puppy :)

With those paws, he'll grow to a good size!

Offline Michael C.

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 10:01:00 pm »
Great looking pup.  They grow fast I had one about that size for 3 or 4 months and then it seemed like all of a sudden I had a huge dog.
"Friendship makes prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing and sharing it."

Cicero

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:28:54 am »
 Good looking Pup. Did you meet Chris Cade while you were there?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:35:19 am »
I got my choc lab Lucy Brown from Chris Cade in Abbeville. They make good dogs down there.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:44:20 am »
I kinda think he looks like a dog I would call "Tiller"
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 08:22:53 am »
Nice looking little fellow.Is he a yellow Lab. I have a pure breed Yellow Lab that looks more like a hound than a Lab.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 09:32:49 am »
Look at the feet on him :) Looks like a great dog to me, he's gonna keep ya busy :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 10:39:51 am »
lombard, i meant to stop by the diner to chat with you but never got a chance.  a fine looking dog and with a brown nose to boot.  not many like that around.  next time you're in town, let me know.  i'll hook you up with some hickory and elm.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Greatgoogamooga

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 10:55:15 am »
Sousa used to say, "never perform after dogs or children."  I think all other threads in this group come in second place after a yellow lab puppy.

Looks like a great dog. labs can act dumb as a stump if they are not trained (read "Marley and Me") but they are a great, loyal friend no matter what.  We adopted one from a Lab Rescue 6 years ago and I was amazed at how gently and patient she was with my  2 year old. 

Goog

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 11:45:39 am »
i wanna get a big dog. Weimaraner mostly.  ive got two dachshunds for tracking though.  cute pup!!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 12:30:52 pm »
Nice looking pup,It will make a great companion,I love my dogs and they love me no
matter what. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline agd68

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 12:56:26 pm »
Greatgoogomoog is right, labs can be as dumb as a stump, but dont let em fool you. There aint a yote out there that can hold a candle to a lab when it comes to craftyness. They are not so dumb as they would have you believe
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 01:08:52 pm »
My roommate in school had a female.  We'd go diving and don't you know that dog would actually try to go under water with us!  She was tremendous.
She could scale up a algae covered sheer faced granite boulder right out of the surf and no ground underneath her.  Spectacular dogs.
1’—>1’