Author Topic: kids and hunting and shooting..  (Read 3468 times)

Offline aero86

kids and hunting and shooting..
« on: March 26, 2010, 04:09:53 pm »
so, since ive gotten back into this, and got stuff all over, my kids naturally have taken an interest.  id love to get them into it as well, but what age is a good age?  best way to approach responsibility?  i just wanna make sure we have fun without the carelessness.  my boys are 4 and 6.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline cracker

Re: kids and hunting and shooting..
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 04:47:42 pm »
Aero that is the exact ages that I started my to sons in hunting and fishing. The young mind learns faster than us old folks. Teach them right and teach them soon.Ronnie
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »
thats what i thought.  they are interested and that way when i do stuff outside i dont have to think of them things to do!  now that the weather is warming up, i wanna take them camping soon.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 02:48:35 pm »
I started to hunt with my Father when I was 6.  When we started, he would let me carry a .22 short in my pocket, and he carried the rifle.  When we saw a grouse, he would hold onto the front sling/front stock and let me "aim" the gun.  I think he used to rest the front of the receiver on his shoulder, crouch down and I'd stand behind him......don't know that I hit much, but it was fun.  I'm 39 now and can't wait for my kids to get old enough.
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 03:01:08 pm »
I'd say if they are interested, the sooner the better. This will keep their interest peaking. I would not allow young kids to shoot on their own until I was sure they understood the the possible danger involved, even with kid's bows of low draw weight.
   I gave the son of a good friend his first gun; an old single shot, bolt action .22, for his first birthday. Every time Seth walked past the gun cabinet he made sure everyone knew which gun was his. It was years later before he was allowed to shoot it under supervision but he was still proud of "his" gun in the cabinet. Your kids will cherish the time they spent with Dad shooting their bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:09:32 pm »
Ya, as soon as they show interest is a good time. I started my daughter shooting at 5 and she was working on her handgun qualification at 7 with a 22. She harvested her first deer at 8 with a flintlock smoothbore. She was hiking and camping with us at 2.Bottom line, take 'em with you and teach them early. Always supervise and demand safe behavior. We always treat situations and weapons with thoughtfulness and respect. It was her interest in selfbows a little over a year ago that got both of us into hunting with selfbows. We got out a lot this fall, mostly squirrel hunting and stumping. We have had a great time. She is now 13 and camping, hunting or hiking we always have a good time and she as easy to be with in the field as anybody I've been out with.
Chasing Crow   
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline Cromm

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 06:03:32 pm »
My son is nearly 3 and has his first selfbow and 6 arrows. I have been taking him out to shoot at targets whenever he wants too or when he see's me shooting my bows and wants to do the same. The time we shoot is up to him when he says he want to do something else we stop, I think that way he will not get bored or dislike it.
It is always a joy to knell down next to him and show him how to shoot and the light in his eyes when the arrow flies and hits the 3D target.
Great Britain.
Home of the Longbowman.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 09:52:52 am »
Im only 18, no kids, no plans either. But my dad had me out in thew woods when i was only a few years old and im still doing it. if someday i have kids i plan to teach them The Old Ways too.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 01:35:28 pm »
my kids have been shooting since they could walk. built bows with stone tools a couple years back. never too early or late. peace
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 05:38:36 pm »
i think ill go to HD and get some broom handles and make them up something quick.

Offline recurve shooter

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 10:47:07 am »
well im still a long way from being a daddy, but i can tell yall that i killed my first deer at seven, and as young as i can remember i went hunting with my daddy and i would just sit in his stand with my bb gun. as long as you totally hammer in the fundamentals of saftey above anything els you should be fine.  ;D
lets just shoot it