Author Topic: Heat treat after backing?  (Read 1940 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Heat treat after backing?
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:03:56 pm »
I'm finishing up a sapling bow, and there's a natural deflex kink just above the handle that's taking some set even though I left the stick almost round in that spot.  I'd like to harden the kink with some heat, but I've already backed it with rawhide and knox.  Can I heat treat?  or will I damage the glue?  Thanks guys!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
Re: Heat treat after backing?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:17:02 pm »
I've never done this myself but I believe with knox glue and rawhide you should be OK treating the belly as long as you don't heat the glue or rawhide too much. It can heat up some and may soften but will harden again when it cools, just don't get it too hot and make sure it stays attached after it is heated.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 08:38:23 pm »
Cool!  Thanks!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 08:44:19 pm »
Personally I wouldnt do it but if I absolutely had to I would heat treat it and then temporarily wrap that spot with something to hold pressure untill the glue re-hardens.  Just a bit of insurance from it de-lamming in that spot.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 11:21:18 pm »
Well I did it, and the glue did move on me.  Thankfully I had a generous overlap of rawhide in an attempt to strengthen the kink, so overall I got a positive result.  I finished up 50#@30", an improvement over my last bow, and the tiller is much less embarrassing, too!  It's quite a bit heavier than I think it should be by the mass principle, and much heavier than my last saskatoon bow, so I'm interested to see if I gained anything as measured in arrow speed.  I have room to pike if I need to, as I'm 70.5" t2t.  Thanks JT and Josh!