Author Topic: Smoking and Health  (Read 4153 times)

vtclimber

Smoking and Health
« on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:08 pm »
So, I have followed a few posts on here and recall DanaM's about quitting smoking. I have realized in the last couple of days why that is not a bad idea... I'm 35 years old and woke up with a collapsed lung. I am on day number 2 in the hospital with a thoracic ventilation tube in my chest......suffice to say, that was what made me decide to quit....and whether or not I wanted to before, I damn sure do now......just wish I had earlier  :(

HatchA

Re: Smoking and Health
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:59:35 pm »
Damn, man...  That's severe!

I'm 35 also but have never smoked.  Still gave me twinges in my chest when I read you woke up with a collapsed lung  :-\  in fact, I actually just shivered as I typed that.

Sending positive thoughts and best wishes from Ireland, for a good recovery and successful quitting!!

Steve.

vtclimber

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 11:36:32 pm »
Thanks Steve, Glad the hospital has internet! Tel ya what...I don't EVER want to experience that again!!

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 12:19:18 am »
Had one myself...had nothing to do with Smoking though....had all to do with hitting my Chest....Leg and Hip on a 3 inch Sign Post at 60 on a Scooter...when I was sideswiped in 1993...only one thing worse than a Collapsed Lung...and not being able to draw a Breath...thats trying to stand on a Leg and Hip that folds up like an Accordion when you try to put your weight on it..... >:(.....good luck and get well...I know your Pain........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 02:40:52 am »
Dang man, sorry to hear about your lung.  I will be praying for your speedy recovery.  Glad to hear you are quitting smoking.. Best thing I ever did.  It's hard but well worth it in the end.   Get well soon!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 08:42:54 am »
Well that sucks eh :( I'm coming up on 3 months and have no desire to smoke :) Guess I was kucky basically smoked my whole life and no serious problems,
a little shortness of breath but that gets better everyday. Good luck and hope ya heal fast :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

vtclimber

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 10:23:25 am »
El D - yup. the lung sucks....i did the accordian thing once with my arm. Not fun.
Thanks Josh.

DanaM - You are lucky man. I fell asleep and woke up this way.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 10:51:33 am »
 Vt, sorry to hear about your lung bro. staying in the hospital is definitely no fun and I can't imagine a callapsed lung feels to good.  Keeping you in our prayers bro.

vtclimber

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »
Just to give ya'll sn update. Left the hospital last night. If ya have not quit smoking yet, email me...I'll pass on a horrific story. Things are good, and now I might be abke to fill some
\]the obligations i have set for myself.....can't type right nopw cause of the meds...tqalk later..

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 10:39:38 am »
Glad to hear your on the mend :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »
glad you are doing better V.  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »
Try my patented campaign to quit smoking.  Since I'm too dumb to remember even half of a 12 step program, I developed this one that is three steps or rules to remember. 

1) Do not buy smokes.
2) Do not steal smokes.
3) Do not borrow smokes.

Other than that, you are free to pick up any half smoked butt you find in a urinal or in a gutter.

The thing that finally helped me quit was the 10 minute rule.  If I decide I am going to smoke a cigarette, I have to wait 10 minutes before I can do it.  By then I am distracted by life and the craving has subsided enough to leave me alone.  (yeah, I know...short attention spa...SQUIRREL!)

Been quit about 10 years or so now, started at age 9 and smoked until I was 38.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

vtclimber

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:08:22 pm »
JW..That is about the best damn advice I think I have ever ....RABBIT...ya get the point. Thanks man!

rockhound34

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 12:19:52 pm »
 Well I know its time for me to quit,I hate to here about vt climber,prayers will be sent!

Offline stickbender

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »

Vtclimber, you wouldn't by any chance be tall and lanky?  The reason I am saying that, it is not uncommon for tall thin people to have a collapsed lung, without any particular trauma to the chest.  Always a good time to quit.  ;) Whenever I see someone who is looking for a cigarette, or they find they have smoked their last one, I tell em......it's a good time to quit.  ;D  Been lucky so far, I haven't come across someone who is in the cranky, and kill for a cigarette stage...... ;D Think of the bow material you can buy now
with all the money you will save by not smoking.  Why pay to kill yourself?  Know what I m ......  Holly Molley, an arrow head!  :o

Wayne