Author Topic: Squirrel Arrows  (Read 11814 times)

Offline Kegan

Squirrel Arrows
« on: March 17, 2007, 04:10:29 pm »
I'm working on some arrows for bushy tails this fall, making them pretty simple and cheap, assuming I will be losing more than a few into the trees after those jumpy devils ;D. Thing is, I don't know what point to use! I don't want to use feild point because I WILL be losing some arrows, but I don't know if old 30-30 spent casings will work. They're tough little buggers, will a blunt work on 'em?

Offline Agbowyer

Re: Squirrel Arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 04:14:38 pm »
Blunts work great on them and bounce of limbs. i used  .38 casings that did well. You can even drill holes and put pieces of heavy guage wire through them to keep from over penetrating. I think I got that from an old PA article.l

Offline sonny

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 04:57:41 pm »
or you could make some nutters, simply explained as the proper sized hex nut screwed on the point end of a tapered wooden arrow shaft. seems to me that a very little bit of epoxy might help hold 'em in place but probably ain't completely necessary.
I'm hoping to get a few nutters made myself before too long........ 
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 06:34:42 pm »
Nutters are devistating on squirrels and cheap and easy to make. I put a little super glue around the nut and saturate the point of the shaft.  You won't find anything cheaper and they really do the job. I like to use a single spiraled fluflu for fletching also. Bright colors will help you find the arrow after the shot.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 07:58:56 pm »
I have used .38 shell casings held on with CA. I used #7 lead shot to bring the weight up a bit. Weigh the arrow,tip and shot all at the same time to get to your desired weight. The nuts option, as Pat said, is devastating on them. I use a double flu flu but a single will work just as good. Mine are dyed international orange and it "does" help finding them, even when they are still in the tree. Good luck.

Dick Bernier

Offline Kegan

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 08:37:21 pm »
As it stands the arrows will be: 3/8" dowels cut to 30" with 2 full length heavy spiral crow feathers with reinforced selfnocks and 30-30 blunts (I save his old casings after each time he shoots, I have enough for YEARS ;D)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:25:20 pm »
  38 casing works good.I knock the primer out and insert a nail.Then cut it off at about a half inch.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 10:48:08 pm »
    Do same as Eddie except I put a 2 sided wood screw into the primer pocket-sticks out about 1/2". Sometimes I put a flat washer on end..................bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 11:53:37 pm »
Mullet, Man have I got to make some of these for pot-guts. (ground squirels)  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:24:28 pm »
I use 5/16ths ramin dowels....I take ye old spine tester to lowes...and test away....yeah you get some funny looks, but who cares!

I then gat a big bag of use .30 carbine brass and knock out the old primer.  I glue it on with hot melt as usual.

I then cut a slot into the top of the casing for a blade.....You can use either a bear bleeder blade (which can get pricey)....or do what I do and use banding steel.

With banding steel....I insert it far enough so it looks like a bear bleeder blade is being used....I glue it in place with 5 min epoxy.  I then drill a small hole thru the brass, shaft and inserted blade....insert a small brad....peen over each side!  Voila!  Flies great and totaly devastating!  Cutting and blunt force trauma.....
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 04:35:41 pm »
I'm starting to think that metal banding is like the bowyers duct tape.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 07:23:20 pm »
Man....its cheap....sharpens well....is tough...and hell on small game!
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

jamie

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 03:08:12 pm »
stonedog i would drop dead laughing if i saw somebody spine testing dowels at the hardware store.. lol. ive been pretty successfull with wood blunts . when carving out the shaft i just leave a bulb on the end of the shaft. its some work though. peace

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 12:07:21 am »
J.

Believe me....I do get a look or 50.....but..there is that one person that comes up to me and asks what I am doing.....and I explain it....and 50% of those....get really excited.....or at least intrigued...and then there are those that just dont believe that it can be done....you can see the disbelief on their faces. 

Wooden blunt?  Man I bet they do look plenty tuff!  But I am all for economy!

With my feathers and the whole bit....I have about .90$ invested in each arrow.....about at disposable as I can make them.

Did I mention that they flat out drill an eastern grey?  Ever seen a red fox squirrel?  We got 'em HUGE here in KY and they can absorb a huge amount of energy!

-Aiel Saying

onemississipp

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 01:09:12 pm »
Those are all great ideas!!!

Thanks guys