Author Topic: Ash Bow "Ravensnake"  (Read 4347 times)

Offline profsaffel

Ash Bow "Ravensnake"
« on: March 29, 2010, 12:20:13 am »
Although this is the latest bow I've finished, this bow has a special history that goes back to my first day as a bowyer-in-training. See, my friend Dave who introduced me to bow making, led me to the woods behind his house a couple of winters ago to find a sapling that I could make my first bow from. We trekked for an hour, taking down a hickory tree and splitting it into staves along the way, before coming across a nice, straight ash tree. We halved the trunk so that we each could make a quick D-Bow when we returned to his house. He taught me some basics while I took the bark off with a draw knife. Unfortunately, as I worked this sapling down over a period of weeks, the bow dried sideways, making a "boomerang" shape. So, for over a year, I left this unfinished bow to lie to the side until I learned how to reshape wood.

Now, nearly a year and half later, I finally finished this first bow attempt. This 64" ntn ash bow draws over 50# at 26". I had originally targeted the bow for drawing at about 45#, but the linen backing made the bow much stiffer than anticipated. Unfortunately, the elements and my foolhardy attempts at reshaping the bow without adequate heat caused some checking throughout the handle and limbs, therefore leading me to back the bow. Because of the ugliness of the jagged linen, I decided to hold nothing back with the decoration. It is not a real D-Bow and it is not modeled after a particular native style bow, but I did feel inspired by a Choctaw replica bow I found on the net. The bow was spray painted black and decorated with hand painted acrylic designs. The handle is wrapped suede lace. "Ravensnake" as I've named it is not a particularly wonderful shooter, but it certainly does well considering its humble beginnings. I would even go as far as to say this is a bow that should never have been. But after many arrows, it certainly hits hard and is unique to add.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 12:37:32 am by profsaffel »
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline profsaffel

Re: Ash Bow "Ravensnake"
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 12:22:37 am »
More pics...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 12:30:00 am »
Thanks. I certainly took my sweet time - I should have gotten it close to correct after over a year in the making  ::)  Actually, I can tell the tiller is just s-l-i-g-h-t-l-y off, but I won't let anyone know if you won't.  :P

Offline xin

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:58:34 am »
Pretty bow and really looks authentic.  Nice work!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 08:01:12 am »
Cool looking bow. I like that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

half eye

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:12:25 am »
I Like it ;D   It bends, it launches and looks good to boot.....hell, I think they call that bow !!!! very nice
Rich

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 10:30:19 am »
Nice bow, looks cool with the paintings :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Lombard

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:10 am »
Gotta like that Ash, it is good stuff to work with, when designed with it's limitations in mind.

Offline Canoe

• Progress - Not Perfection
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 12:16:30 pm »
Howdy Prof.,

I always like the simple but deadly lookin' bows that are posted here.

This one, I find inspirering.  (I still have a pile of White Ash in my basement, dried and waitin' for me.)

Question(s): What is the limb width at the fades and at the tips?

Thanks for Sharing,
Canoe
"Nature is a mutable cloud which is always and never the same."  - R. W. Emerson

"Wilderness is not a luxury, but a necessity of the human spirit."    -Edward Abbey

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 01:53:01 pm »
Looks great. I like it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:18:50 pm »

Question(s): What is the limb width at the fades and at the tips?

Thanks for Sharing,
Canoe

The fades are 1 and a half " and the tips are 11/16. Those are probably not optimal widths, but it worked for this bow.

-Prof

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:42 pm »
Great bow. You can crank it back another two inches, though. Bookmarked for March Self BOM, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 10:28:57 pm »
Thats a good lookin bow.
VB