Author Topic: what wood is this?  (Read 3259 times)

Offline aero86

what wood is this?
« on: March 29, 2010, 04:44:28 pm »
found this tree laying down when hunting cane.  broke it off and it was still alive so i cut it off and took it with me.  gonna try to make a bow of it, but i dont know what it is.  im in North East texas.  it has a white sap wood and a brown heart wood.  the bark on the tree was pretty smooth.  no leaves on it..  i dont know if these pics will help to identify

profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline wildman

Re: what wood is this?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 07:00:12 pm »
maybe a young hackberry not 100% sure
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 07:08:34 pm »
How thick are those rings? That bark almost reminds me of mimosa.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline aero86

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:09:31 pm »
ill count it when i get home
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 09:08:46 pm »
Pics of twigs with buds would be helpful.   With the little warts on the bark my first thought was hackberry but it is only a guess.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 09:14:09 pm »
could be elm too...this one had warts all over it...and I know that it is Elm...it was all leafed out still when I cut it....

[attachment deleted by admin]
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

DCM4

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:50:39 am »
Elm and hackberry have similar leaves.  I have only seen those warts, on otherwise flat bark, on hackberry.

First one looks like blue beech on the bark but the inner wood favors wild cherry to me.

Darn near impossible for me to tell much from just looking at the wood, or bark and wood, unless it has some distinctive feature.

Far East Archer

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 10:52:09 am »
It is hard wood?
Looks little bit like magnolia tree....?

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 02:26:17 pm »
im gonna have to go back to the spot to check out the area.  it was a tall sapling that had fallen over, and there were no leaf buds on it yet.  i was really surprised it was still alive.  the little warts are on the bark, not the actual inner wood.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 03:10:51 pm »
be careful when using a fallen tree. the side that is close to the ground will rot quick , even if the tree is still alive. lost some great hickory staves because of that.
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline aero86

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 05:18:10 pm »
it wasnt laying on the ground.  the part im not using was laying on another tree.

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 07:25:54 pm »
havent gotten out there again yet, but the wood under the bark is a light yellow.  like banana pudding yellow..

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 12:05:44 am »
Ya know, I've been thinking about this one and my vote has changed to a young red oak and that's my final answer ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 09:18:56 am »
well, it dried out pretty quickly, but it ended up breaking.  it had too much character for me to tiller properly.  i wish it would have been a thicker piece, it had a really high crown on the back