Author Topic: GROWING CAIN  (Read 4189 times)

Offline crooketarrow

GROWING CAIN
« on: March 31, 2010, 12:04:18 am »
    I'd like to get some river cain shoots to plant.First off can you grow it in WV.If so can anyone ship or sell  me some or I'll trade for some.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: GROWING CAIN
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 03:02:46 pm »
It grows naturally in WV, especially in the Southwestern part of the state.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Cacatch

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 03:10:21 pm »
Hillbilly, do you think it would grow in southeastern Indiana?

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:31:33 pm »
Yes, it is native to a few counties in southern Indiana. Here is the USDA distribution map of where it grows naturally.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Smoky Mountains, NC

Cacatch

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 04:40:43 pm »
I surely do not mean to jack the thread, but have one more question for ya Hillbilly, that Crooketarrow would probably like to know the answer to as well - How controlable is this cane once it is spread? I've been looking to plant some myself, on the family farm and need to be sure that it won't start coming up all over the corn and wheat fields. Will it pretty much stay in the are you plant it in?

Your knowlege is much appreciated, and is highly recommended by Old Hippy.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 04:57:38 pm »
Cacatch, native cane will spread to an extent and form a "canebrake", but nothing like most of the Asian bamboos. Some patches that I have transplanted on streambanks while doing native plant restoration work have probably doubled in size or so in ten years. It's a lot easier to get rid of than most bamboos too-one reason that it is scarce now in much of its former range. Many of the streams around here have cane growing along the creekbanks, but it doesn't seem to spread at all into the cultivated fields-it usually stays between the cornfield and the creek.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Cacatch

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »
Gotcha Hillbilly. And thanks for the answers. Doesn't sound like an issue then. In fact, sounds like a good thing to restore some of it to this area of the state.

Just curious, how did you get to know so much about vegetation? I wish I knew half what you do.

Cacatch

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:06:02 pm »
I would sure like to give it a try too.... but I killed the batch of Arrow Boo that Mullet sent Me....dont know what I did wrong....but it's dead a can be...... ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:12:12 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »
Cacatch, a combination of growing up running around in the woods on a Southern Appalachian subsistance farm where the family got a lot of their food, medicine, and materials from the woods; and also school. I work as a horticulturist/GIS mapper for the state, specialize in native plants.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Cacatch

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 05:20:04 pm »
Well right on.   :)    I think sometimes I should have studied horticulture in college, but I never could handle science classes and labs. 

Thanks

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 08:13:23 pm »
Cacatch, a combination of growing up running around in the woods on a Southern Appalachian subsistance farm where the family got a lot of their food, medicine, and materials from the woods; and also school. I work as a horticulturist/GIS mapper for the state, specialize in native plants.

wow Steve, that explains alot.  I always wondered why you were always the one with the best answers when a "what type of tree/wood/cane is this" thread started.  Right on man.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln