Author Topic: Some late-nite venting...  (Read 3515 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Some late-nite venting...
« on: March 31, 2010, 05:34:25 am »
Dear Olde Farte Customer,

Nobody since high school has galled me the way you have recently.   However, since I cannot allow one bad customer to impinge on the enjoyment of my business, I have chosen to forgive you.  And to a lesser extent, to pray for you, although sincerity in both endeavors may be somewhat lacking.

Do not take this as an offer for a free dimmer switch.  You will never see me again.  Please do not contact me in any manner.  I will not speak to you again.  I don't even want an apology anymore.  You are forgiven.  If, after reading this letter and paying Russell, you feel the need to atone, just make a donation to a charity of your choice.

I will attempt to tabulate for your benefit what it is I am forgiving you for, since my operating assumption is that you are utterly clueless.  I doubt it is a comprehensive list, as my memory is not great, and you have been frequently rude as well as prodigiously ungrateful.

I gave you a subpanel for less than $500, as a favour to you, even though the going rate is a flat $1000.  I made several extra trips to your house, as a favour to you, even though my bid stipulated 2 for rough-in, and 2 for finishing.  I even came at short notice one evening so as not to disrupt your drywall schedule.    On this enchanted evening, you accused me of not wiring a receptacle in the mud room.  When I proved that I had indeed installed the receptacle, you had an opportunity to apologize.  Instead, you proceeded to accuse me of not properly spacing the box.  I showed that I had properly spaced the box.  Again you could have apologized, but you chose to proceed to the next accusation.  This time you claimed I had not run a wire for a switch to control the light above the bookshelf.  You insisted I didn't run it, and that you hadn't touched it.  It took me over 2 hours to prove once again that I did my job properly, and that you had illegally and dangerously tampered with the wiring.  Still no apology.  You allowed that you were embarrassed, which is as close as you got to being a man.  I would have been well within my rights to charge you 2 hours of overtime for that fiasco, plus the cost of replacing the pants I ripped in your attic, but I took pity on an old fool of a man and charged only my regular rate, as a favour to you.  A $200 value for $100.  And how did you thank me?  By stiffing Russell.  I upgraded your 3gang box and the 2 switches in it to decora (to match your fan switch), at an extra cost to myself of about $20, as a favour to you.  I could go on, but I think you get the picture.

Thankfully Russell is an honorable man, and has paid all my bills.  I hope you don't stiff him again.

Please accept my apologies for leaving your smoke detector in the mailbox.  I hope you don't mind plugging it in yourself, as I don't trust myself to be civil with you any longer.  I can forgive you, but I can't recharge my patience so easily.

I also ask your forgiveness for no longer respecting you as a person.  Not terribly christian of me, is it?

I do not ask your forgiveness for refusing to do you one more favour, vis a vis the dimmer you feel so entitled to.  I will pray for your sense of entitlement, and am saddened that it has probably cost you more friendships than mine.  I am confident that your obvious expertise in all things will see you through the task of going to the store and installing your own dimmer switch.  Make sure you ask for a "3way" dimmer, and if you are putting it in the 3gang box, remember to get decora.  Don't get a dimmer for the other switch controlling the same lights, because they will fight with each other.  That's some free advice I'm giving as one last favour to you, undeserving though you are.

My usual philosophy regarding obnoxious people is that they don't intend to be obnoxious, but rather lack in self-awareness or social skills.  Sometimes the self-assurance neccessary to be a jerk comes from a lifetime of pedagogy, or the self-righteousness of belonging to the "right" branch of an organized religion.  These are slippery slopes that anybody could fall down, that is why I generously forgive you.  I will pray for you to be healed of these afflictions.

I hope you will read this letter more than once, and maybe even keep it, so that when you feel yourself becoming insufferable, you can revisit it as an exercise in humility.  I humbly submit you could use some help in this regard.

Wishing you well this Easter,

Garett
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

vtclimber

Re: Some late-nite venting...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:18:27 pm »
LMAO.....They really need a "LIKE" or "Thumbs Up" button on here!!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 12:38:10 pm »
wow.  elloquently put.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

HatchA

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 04:52:24 pm »
Zen...

I take my hat off to you!!  I have been given cause to pen some absolutely stripoping letters in my short time on this Earth but YOU sir...  just wow...  Much respect to The Master!!

My father retired last year from the ESB  (Electricity Supply Board here in Ireland) and in my youth, I spent countless hours with him on jobs and nixxers (cash in hand...  *wink wink*) and while I can say I never witnessed any customer treat him the way you describe in your letter, I can fully understand and wholeheartedly sympathise with what you've put up with, regarding the call-outs and "helping a person out" etc.  The fact that it's all from one person alone, astonishes me even more.

Once again, serious serious respect for that wonderful example of how I would dearly love to be able to handle people that p*ss me off!!!  :D  Though I doubt it'll get much farther than the idiot's rubbish bin.

Steve.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:50:44 pm »
Nicely written letter Garett. I've been in business for 24yrs drywall..There's been really nice customers that will go out of they
way to make the job go well.My favorite lady who bakes cookies for me.On the other end of the scale you can't do enough
for some of these people.A few bad apples to spoil the bushle.I do agree that once screwed you are off the list never work for these
people again.Keep the faith
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »
One thing about having the freedom to be your own boss is every now and then you get the customer from hell. Best thing to do is not give them any of your energy. Suffer through it and move on. The majority of folks are good.

vtclimber

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:10:30 pm »
Well put Grunt...Still gotta get down that way.

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 11:21:12 pm »
Thanks guys, I can hardly believe how cheerful I've been today after finally telling this guy off.  Once I decided I couldn't let his toxicity poison my life any more, I asked myself if I could handle not getting a final payment.  The answer slowly came back "yes", and I started to think of what I wanted to say to him, and more importantly:  How to say it.  This guy being an ever-so-nice upstanding member of some church, with pictures on his walls from missions he's been on in various countries, I knew his achilles heel.  And so out came this lovely blend of Christlike forgiveness, condescension, righteous anger, and humility.  I think it's my finest work of this nature and I feel quite cleansed today.  That little fib about the general contractor having already paid me will hopefully ensure a check comes my way, since he hopefully will feel honour-bound not to catch an innocent 3rd party in the middle.

Just like you, Leroy, I find most customers are reasonable people who expect to get paid for their own work and see that it works both ways.  Most are very friendly and grateful.  I don't get many seniors as clients, since I only advertise on the internet.  I wonder if they're a more cantankerous bunch in general?
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson