Author Topic: Gold: Got some?  (Read 9990 times)

Offline zenmonkeyman

Gold: Got some?
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:14:57 pm »
24hgold.com/english/contributor.aspx?contributor=John%20Rubino&article=2770894708G10020
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 09:42:10 am by Justin Snyder »
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

HatchA

Re: Gold: Got some?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:02:22 pm »
Give it forty years and gold or money will be among the last things on anyone's mind (other than big corporations, that is).

There'll be 18 billion people on the planet.  Water and space to live will be the main problems facing mankind then.  Those of us with the ability to find/hunt our own food now, will have a head start on the masses.

God bless capitalism...  we'll be paying for it forever... :-\

Offline sailordad

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 07:06:43 pm »
hatcha i have to disagree with you
gold has always been highly sought after and always will be
as it is a rare metal
when the time comes in forty years and there are 18billion people
those people as you said will will be needing water,space to live and food
those that have gold will always have all that stuff
it always has been that way,always will be that way.well as long as human kind is in charge

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »
40 years from now I will most likely be dead :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

HatchA

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 07:37:01 pm »
I understand what you're saying and where you're coming from, Sailor but it's from an historical viewpoint.  If you're nursing a dwindling supply of fresh, clean water, how much gold would it cost someone to fill a canteen from it?  Gold is a "precious metal" - precious because mankind has made it so.  Historically, mankind has had an abundance of drinking water available to him.  When good drinking water becomes a scarcity, what use is all the gold in the land to the average Joe, trying to eek out an existence with the meagerest of resources?

You might say "but he could buy water with gold..."  and again, I'd ask "how much water would someone part with, for something as trivial (cos let's be honest... it IS trivial) as little more than something nice to look at?"

Vicious circles abound, I think  :-\

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 11:35:15 pm »
If money in general is going to be useless, why not be safe and put some of it in gold and silver?  I think it's a good part of a balanced armageddon portfolio, along with a hunting bow, cabin in the woods, and a lingerie model.   ;D
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 11:39:19 pm »
i like most of that zen
however the lingerie model is gonn a be a high maintenance item
shes gonna also be a whiney little b*tch that will slow ya down,ruin many a hunt etc
better off with something a little more practical
a woman whom can clean a beast and cook it will be much better in a situation like that  ;)
then when thats done,she can stretch the hide and tan it too  ;D
make you a new quiver and loin cloth from it
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 12:13:13 am »
Now here's my precious metals sales pitch:

Dear Friends,

The metal to invest in is not gold. It's lead, along with some copper and brass in preformatted assemblies known as cartridges. That is the metal to invest in. Lead, my friends! Number #6 12 gauge shotshells for small game, #1 buckshot and up for other situations. And some 230 grain hardball for the Sig P220 for those of you fortunate enough to own the world's best handgun. Lead! Beautiful, copper-jacketed lead! And ten'll get ya twenty that one good .30 caliber semi-jacketed softpoint will put meat in your hide-away while the rest of the poor saps are wheelbarrowing gold coins down to hopefully buy the last loaf of Wonderbread for $968.65 after society does its best impression of Somalia circa 1990s.

My dear friends, lead won't let you down. It only increases in value, especially when you really need it. When you need lead, gold just won't do. Imagine those poor suckers that socked away all those gold coins when the signs at the last remaining markets say "BARTER ONLY---NO CURRENCY---LOOTERS WILL BE SHOT!" Indeed, those poor souls will find it hard to eat gold and, what's more, gold is rather hard to chamber in a Remington 870. But lead! Ah, my friends, that's the stuff dreams are made of! If not dreams, then certainly meat---provided you're any kind of a shot.

You see, my friends, others will not have the foresight to have invested in lead. They'll think that the dollar does a belly-flop on a Thursday and by Friday, everyone will be politely queueing in line to inquire as to where they might obtain some food, perchance, without any rude shoving or waving about of various and sundry forms of weaponry. They'll think that the rather helpful soldiers and mercenar---er, private military contractors---will dutifully arrive to ensure that no line-jumping or rude gestures occur and that said armed personnel will not use such a time to secure the foodstuffs for themselves. After all that has never happened before has---hey, no one brought up Somalia here! Oops, it appears I did. But I digress. Yes, indeed, these people will think after the dollar collapses they can continue to read People magazine and return to watch Seinfeld reruns on cable. But, I say unto you the wise will have invested in lead for such times.

One might even say that the miniseries "Jericho" gave an excellent picture indeed of precisely what might happen in a societal collapse. In fact, one might also say that's why that series got yanked right off television so quickly. A bit too realistic, what?, certain powers-that-be might have said. Especially the parts about what the government might do in such situations. Or, perhaps, what several armed entities each calling themselves the government might do. Indeed, just a bit TOO realistic.  Can't afford to have people saying, "Hey...yeah....seems that's exactly what might happen..." and tuning in next week to see exactly what WOULD happen in such situations. Yep, ahem, cough, cough, nothing to see here folks, move along. And was gold worth anything in the fictional town of Jericho? No. Seems to me their big barter medium turned out to be salt.

So my friends, invest in lead. For less than the price of a few tarnished Kruggerands, you can purchase a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and enough LEAD to last you through whatever misfortunes ill winds carry our way. Or, for less than the price of some mini-ingots of gold, you could have a Remington 870 in your safe and a LTL delivery truck beep-beeping as it backs up to your garage to offload a pallet of 12 gauge shells. Yes, friends! Ask about the per-pallet prices!

LEAD! Real metal for real people!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 12:21:58 am by Tsalagi »
Living a dream...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 12:28:54 am »
 Actually the shotgun shell to invest in is the .410. You can order them in brass or a boatload from Russia in steel. Very easy to reload.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 01:02:52 am »
That makes sense and the .410 is a good gun. I'm just attached to my Rem870 in 12. Jackrabbits do not get away with that. A lot of meals in a jackrabbit, so I'm getting a pretty good return for each shell.
Living a dream...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 11:19:25 am »
 A) Let's not fall off into a political hole on this one. :)
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline servicebeary

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 12:20:58 pm »
I'll have to cast a vote for investing in flint and sinew.  It's quiet enough not to notify all your enemies in the area >:D  And I hate bloodshot meat 8)
I take life 1 month in the Montana wilds at a time...

Offline Jesse

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 02:35:39 pm »
Interesting. I really dont think it pays to worry about stuff like this. I would think in a hypothetical future situation like this the people that will do best are those that are very simple. Those who are paranoid and stock up and hoard stuff for themselves will be the targets. After going to Haiti I realize that people can survive on almost nothing and still be happy. Sharing with your neighbors would be more important to survival than having more gold or water than them. At some point people just take what they need and if you have what they need it will be taken guns or no guns.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »
... Sharing with your neighbors would be more important to survival than having more gold or water than them. ....

Exactly.
Frank from Germany...

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 03:23:06 pm »
Well said Jesse, if one wants to stock up than stock up on knowledge and skills :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI