Author Topic: backings..  (Read 5293 times)

Offline aero86

backings..
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:42:48 pm »
where do you get yours from?  ive been thinking of backing a bow i have.  i know you guys use pet store rawhide bones, but which? what kind of linen? bamboo strips?
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

half eye

Re: backings..
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 05:25:51 pm »
Aero,
        when I make a backed bow, cut my backings from bow wood, ripped on a table saw, and hand sanded smooth. Not very exotic but hell for tough. If I want speed and power I'll use hickory, hard maple and occassionally paper birch. If I want "pretty and color contrast I use the above three plus grey or red elm or white or black ash.  I use fully quartersawn for my bows so I just use one of those pieces and rip one up into 1/4 or 1/8 thick strips (still quatersawed).
For what it's worth
Rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:39:54 pm »
David Knight (knightd on here) has good bamboo backing strips already planed and ready to glue on for sale.  If I use linen I get it from a fabric store.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Grunt

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 09:27:08 pm »
I use 6 or 7 oz linen canvas and TB11. I get my canvas from a big mail order art supply house. Canvas is stouter than linen cloth but both are strong.

Offline NTD

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 10:03:23 pm »
I will second David Knight (Primal Need Archery) for Bamboo.  He also sells Hickory strips and judging from the quality of his other products would guess those are nice too.
Nate Danforth

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 10:37:06 pm »
If you surf Ebay you can find lots of "lumber" by species and thickness like 1/8.  Specify quarter sawn if you prefer it. 
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:44:18 pm »
Last I checked Ebay wasn't an advertiser for PA.  And they sure don't answer the phone after a purchase and provide you support throughout the bow building process.  Let's support the little guys here on PA who share their advice and experiences selflessly whether they get your sale or not. 
Nate Danforth

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 11:19:39 pm »
I find my own Snake Skins...hunt my own Sinew....make my own Rawhide...cut my own Hickory and Maple Backing Strips from Quartersawn Boards...and buy my Boo from eBay .... 3Rivers .... Pinehollow ... Rudderbows .... but mainly eBay
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline NTD

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 11:26:36 pm »
 ;D
Nate Danforth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 11:30:25 pm »
  David and Cora, did you take note of where ElD buy's his Boo? ::) :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 11:34:12 pm »
well....as of yet....I have not had the privelige of trying Davids Boo Backings....I try not to use Boo for anything...I am not much of a Boo Backer...I don't make Laminated Bows...aint smart enough.....I like rawhide....and Sinew...but most of all....I like bare Wood...feels and looks better...JMO

And Eddie...you trying to Stir Chit with a Boat Motor again.......... :P
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 11:40:45 pm »
i like all wood bows as well.  im just gonna try to raise the weight of this bow a bit and keep it a bit better by backing it.  plus, i just wanna try it once
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
Well ...if you are wanting to raise the Draw Wieight...then Rawhide,,,Linen...Silk...and Snake Skins are all out...will have to be Sinew... Bamboo...or a Wood backing Strip then
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 11:49:37 pm »
opps, got distracted typing the message.  meant to say im gonna shorten it a bit more.  the rawhide will be to catch the splinters of the back as it blows.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:52:57 pm »
 ElD, where'd you come from ???, all of a sudden? ;D ;D ;D ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?