Author Topic: New guy with a question  (Read 1699 times)

Offline medicmikey

New guy with a question
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:35:31 pm »
Ok so here's a quick question.  Sounds dumb, but it's a point of confusion as I set up for my first batch of arrows. 

Which is the stiff side of the arrow?  Is that gonna be on the convex or concave side of the bend? Or to put it in terms we'll all understand, if the arrow is a bow, is the stiff side the back or the belly?

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: New guy with a question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:40:44 pm »
In terms of a Bow...the belly side is the weak side....if you put your Shaft on the Ground...and apply downward Pressure...the side it bends to...is the Strong Side...which goes to the riser of the Bow....or is it the opposite way....... >:D.............. :P......... ;D.........
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:14 am »
medicmikey,

I'm confused, I think you may have to explain you question differently.

However I think the correct answer is neither, when you bend anything, especially when its section is circular then it uses both sides in resisting the bending stresses, one side in tension and one in compression. If you are sorting out cane shafts and finding what is often described as the stiff side then what you are actually finding is the stiffer plane not a side, so once you have found the stiffer plane either side will do. (While it is true that there will be a slight difference in the bending  resistance from side to side of the plane, as a result of the differences in the material on either side of the shaft, the shaft in flight flexes in both directions so it doesn't matter as to the precise alignment.)

I think..... ???

Craig.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:16:36 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:28:18 pm »
Typically the "leaf" side would go against the side of the bow, since it is usually stiffer. If you've done a good job straightening the shaft there should not be a convex or concave side, but I may not get the reference. I check mine on the spine tester to determine the stiff side, but most often "leaf side against the bow".
Chuck S.