Author Topic: Need Help  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Swamp Bow

Need Help
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:37:45 am »
Hi all,
  I have a good friend that has just finished with cancer treatment.  Well her hair started growing back but came in completely gray which she hates.  The catch is that she can't use any chemicals of any kind for six months.  So using commercial hair dyes are out.  My first thought was walnut so I'm giving her some walnut husk tea to try (found a web page verifying that is done).  Her hair is only about half an inch long, so when the tea stains her scalp it will show for a few days.  Not sure how she will deal with that.  Anyone have any ideas if that does not work out?

Thanks,
Swamp
From the middle of a swamp in SW Florida.

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
Re: Need Help
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:40:46 am »
 Swamp. I went through a year of chemotherapy. :( Had a little grey hair and not very coarse. When mine started growing back, it was coarse and allot greyer :o. Find one of my photos on a post and look at the grey (white) 48 now and was 34 when I went through the treatments.  I reckon I look at things allot diff. now. grey is better than the alternative. ;)  I just let the Lord take care of all my problems. Things seem to work out for the best that way ;)
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:05:09 am »
Thanks Hillbilly61, she has been through this rodeo before and way too many more people that I know have as well (some as close as it gets).  The problem is she looks in the mirror and the image reminds her of someone else she knows.  That is a real problem for her.  As you know she has enough issues right now, and does not need to deal with things best dealt with when there is more breathing room.  Nothing like getting kicked when you're down.   :-\  She is tough, but this is something I may actually be able to do, not just watch her fight with.  Thanks for the thoughts.

Swamp

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:01:55 am »
 Oh I understand completely. What ever you can do to make her feel better/more positive, by all means do. Looking in that mirror every time is hard on the spirit. My prayers are with her.
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:40:49 am »
Swamp...here is a recipe for Walnut Shell Dye... To prepare the dark juice... first crush the hulls in a mortar... cover them with boiling water and a pinch of salt and let them “soak” for three days... Then add three cups of boiling water and simmer the hulls... in a nonmetal container for five hours (replacing the water as it steams away).... Strain off the liquid.... place the walnut hulls in a cloth sack, and twist it tightly to wring out all remaining juice..... Finally return the liquid to the pot and reduce it by boiling to about a quarter of its original volume..... The resulting brew can then be used to whip up a rich walnut dye as follows....Add a teaspoon of ground cloves or allspice to the prepared extract.... Allow the dye mixture to steep in the refrigerator for about a week (shaking it frequently during that time)..... When it’s ready for use.... strain the liquid (using a piece of cheesecloth) and pour it at least 15 times through freshly shampooed hair before rinsing it out thoroughly....this one is a lot of work...so you may want to try the next two instead...

I know that back in the Depression...I was told that the Ladies would brew up a Strong Coffee or Pekoe Tea...and rinse thier Hair in it...and do so for 15-60 minutes...or longer....untill the preferred color is reached....and this was said to bring good results....

here is another old Wives Recipe....

Boil two cups of water and add ˝ cup of dried sage.... Let this sage steep for seven or eight hours.... Apply it to dry hair and allow your hair to dry before rinsing out this natural homemade dye.... Repeat this home remedy for hiding gray hair until you achieve the color and level of coverage you desire.... Maintain the color by applying this natural herbal brew once a month....

Now these last two were for Brown Hair....if She wants Red....try Tomato Sauce...or for even darker Hair...puree some Beets...remember that these are a Progressive Dye...unlike the Walnus Shell...or Henna...these will have to be done a few times to get the Color that She wants

Now if She want s to go Wild...I remember doing this one a Teen myself....use Kool-Aid.... Mix 2 packets of the desired color of Kool-Aid with 1 cup of conditioner.... Saturate your hair with the Kool-Aid conditioner.... Leave on for about an hour. Rinse out completely....or go crazy and add more than one color by mixing a pacet of different colors with conditioner...and doing stripes ..or designs....now go help your Friend...and good luck....and Happy Easter

« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:50:58 am by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:15:04 pm »
Thanks again Hillbilly61, you hit the nail on the head.

El D,  Perfect.  I received a jar of hull tea from Eddie a while back and am letting her try some.   If it works, I've have some ground hulls buried in the studio that I to use for dying the reed handles I would make for tea pots.  Since she flew down here on vacation, I'll send those back with her and the recipe.  Flying with a jar of tea in your luggage is just asking for disaster.  Oh and yes I'm giving her some heavy duty rubber glove too.  That stuff will make it look like you've been digging for gold in the outhouse.  Ask me how I know this.   ::)

Thanks again,

Swamp

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:46:37 pm »
Interesting information.  Swamp, I hope that she gets a good result.  My best wishes...
1’—>1’

Offline Swamp Bow

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 01:02:55 am »
Thanks Steve.