Author Topic: tab or glove?  (Read 3514 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
tab or glove?
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:01 pm »
When I finally made a successful bow and started shooting i just started using a glove, probably because a had an old one lying around, i guess i never thought about using a tab.

this weekend i thought what the heck, tried using the tab. I would shoot a round with the glove, then shoot a round with the tab. i did this for several rounds and am sure now that i was shooting much better with the tab than with the glove.

I guess i always thougth it was more of a preference thing and that there really wasn't a significant difference in performance or shooting effect.

was this true just for me, or do any of you have similar experience with a tab working better for you than a glove?
45# at 27"

Offline aero86

Re: tab or glove?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 05:07:11 pm »
i was shooting with a 3 finger glove.  and this weekend, i tried a couple different things.  i was doing much better shooting with nothing.   though, my bows are kinda light, 40 and 43, i feel i get a better release.  if i make a more powerful bow, ill probably use a tab.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

NJWoodsman

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:37:34 pm »
It took me a lot of shooting practice and experiments to see that there can be quite a difference between a glove and a tab. For that matter, different kinds of each. I used a Neet glove for a couple of years, occasionally a Kant-pinch tab. After a while I got frustrated with my accuracy, so I tried a high-end tab, the Cavalier Elite. I discovered a couple of things. One is, a slick tab like that may require you to use a stiffer arrow. Anchoring will feel different, too. I also discovered that part of my problem with the glove was it was worn out- it had just enough string groove and set to it that I was getting inconsistent releases.

Anyway, though I do better with a tab, a glove feels more natural, and I just ordered a Duraglove, that I hope will be the best of both worlds.

Offline Kegan

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »
Tabs, in general, give a cleaner release than a glove or jsut bare fingers. A glove grooves, as do your fingers, where a tab does not. Actually, a tab serves more to clean up a "bare finger" release than it does to protect the fingers unless you use a thicker one- and that's a normal regular leather one, not a slick one. Of course, most tabs these days are single hole tabs, so they may flop about and slow a shot down- hence alot of hunters using gloves. I use the old English War bow style tab with two holes and that thing is about as fast as a glove and out of the way as can be. I got started bare fingers so a glove was either too thick and therefore cumbersome, or too thin and useless to protect my fingers.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 09:58:28 pm »
I go Barehanded...except for Winter time...then I wear a Deerskin Glove
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:28 am »
I use a tap or bare fingers,about the time I would get a glove broke in it would get grooves in it,so I stay with a tab. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline chasing crow

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 08:04:58 am »
So far I have been shooting bare fingers. My bow is 47# and I can shoot up to 35 shots or so before I start getting sore. I hunted this winter with fingerless wool gloves and shots felt good.
We know more than we think we do. Pass your knowledge on to our youth

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:23:16 pm »
Damascus glove for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »
bare fingers for me
as far as etting sore goes,well that depends on the bow i am shooting
most of mine are in the 45-50 lb range,those i can shoot well over 100 arrows before i ger sore fingers
my 65lb elb,after about 60 shots my gingers are getting tender
must be these little girl hands that i have  ;D
i should work with them a little more,maybe they'll toughen up some
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ricktrojanowski

• Worlds Greatest Deer Repellent
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 11:08:39 pm »
I shoot with a tab, but I'm going to make myself go barehanded.  I'm sick of losing tabs. ;)
Traverse City, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:10:24 am »
Damascus glove for me too. I shot with a tab when I shot wheels but once I started shooting trad I switched to a glove. I generally have to buy a new one every year to year and a half but I still prefer it. I tried a super glove with Cordovan stalls. The stalls were great but the glove under them fell apart in about 1 1/2 years. I'll stick with the Damascus.
  Also I got tired of dropping my tab from the treestand. If my glove hits the ground I will still be attached!  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC