Author Topic: File / Rasp which one  (Read 4588 times)

Offline coyote1956

File / Rasp which one
« on: April 05, 2010, 09:52:21 pm »
Please help me choose,  I am new at this and want to get the correct tools that you experianced guys go to..........  Ok I hear  that the Nicholson #49 and #50 pattern makers file is the go to files of choice, Ok now if you had to have just one of them, which would it be the #49 less teeth ruffer cut, or the #50 more teeth smoother cut?    Or,,,   is there a better number one choice file/rasp ?   I will be building Osage Bows, and need all the help i can get!!!  I have to make the correct choice in tools as money is a factor. 
Thank You very much for any and all help/advice/comments,  Ken
“A peculiar virtue in wildlife ethics is that the hunter ordinarily has no gallery to applaud or disapprove of his conduct. The ethics of sportsmanship is not a fixed code, but must be formulated by the individual, with no referee but the Almighty.” Aldo Leupold

Old Town, FL.

Offline sailordad

Re: File / Rasp which one
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:32:29 pm »
i like my sureform
it hogs off like a rasp,handles like a plane,and can be as delicate as a scraper once you learn to use them
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:36:14 pm »
i have to agree with sailordad.  to build my bows, i need either a hatchet for tree staves, or a jig saw for board staves and a sureform.  works great
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 10:48:19 pm »
UBR 10! ;) Best I ever put my hands on.

Offline Frode

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 11:33:11 pm »
Sureform and rasp, interchangeably for me, though I did just get a microplane (looks like a sureform but with little straight blades/teeth instead of round like my sureform).  I've only had it a few days, but it does work nice.  That and a mill file.
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

Offline billy

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »
My favorite rasp for heavy wood removal is a farrier's rasp.  It has large teeth on one side that really remove wood quickly.  Also, it is much bigger and heavier than most wood rasps and the weight really gives it momentum which helps it to "carry through" the wood when you use it.

The other side of the rasp has much finer teeth that helps remove larger tool marks.  Because it is a larger rasp, it cannot do abrupt angles....for that you would need a smaller rasp.  But other than that, I'll reach for my farrier's rasp above all others when it comes to making bows.   
Marietta, Georgia

Offline horseapple

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:15:55 am »
Since I've had the Torges UBR 10 I use nothing else, period.  I think the real trick in using a nicholson or UBR 10 is all in the technique, most fight it and doesn't let the tool do its job, like most hand tools.

JD

Offline kerryb

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:26:58 am »
coyote1959, pm me your address and i will send you one that will do the job.
Milan Mo

ilcoalminer

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:33 am »
have a look at the     
Nicholson 8in Woodcraft Rasp
the rasp side is rounded and it has a file side witch is straight. it gives you tools in one and at a fairly low price for us guys that are low on funds ;D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:17:14 am »
Farriers rasp for sure. The price is right too.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 04:36:30 am »
Sorry Gents have to ask this as I don't come from your neck of the woods and you may actually have a sureform tool.

When you sailordad, aero86  and frode talk of a sureform are you actually talkiing of the surform as in the Stanley Surform File/Plane/etc, splet without the "e" ???

If not can you post a picture of the sureform? I may know it under a different name.

Craig.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 06:46:23 am »
Farriers rasp for sure and if I could have only one of the 49-50 I would have to pick the 49.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:33 am »
Ditto what Pappy said, personally I hate using a surform
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Stonedog

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 09:02:34 am »
Farriers rasp for me.....but I would love to get a UBR 10......
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day.

-Aiel Saying

Offline The Gopher

• Aim Small, Miss Small
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 10:49:14 am »
Farriers rasp for a cheaper tool that can really hog off wood

UBR10 for a nice tool that will last a long time - note neither the #49, #50, or UBR10 should be used to "hog off" wood, these are really good cutting tools and hogging off wood with them is just a waste of money because they will dull faster, let the tool do the work for you.
45# at 27"