Author Topic: Rot resistance  (Read 3194 times)

Offline kylerprochaska

Rot resistance
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:33:33 am »
Well two days from now i'll be out working at my grandpa's little farm pond sinking trees for the fish...I wanted some opinions on what type of tree i should sink considering they will be underwater....we have a lot of Eastern Red Cedars and quite a few honey locust.  I know black locust is pretty resistant but what about honey?  And from what Ive heard so is ERC....the only other trees in the area are cottonwoods and silver maples and i know that they probably aren't since their not too good for bow wood either.

Ky
GBR!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Rot resistance
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:50:59 am »
ERC is for sure,that is what guys around here in the lake for crappie beds,not sure on Honey locust.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:29:31 pm »
Any wood lasts a long time when under water, think it has to do with the fact that fungi don't grow underwater so good,
but ya won't go wrong with ERC
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 02:18:35 pm »
 If you can't get Cypress I'd use the Cedar.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 12:18:38 am »
I'd use ERC. The multi branched trunk makes better habitat for fish. Around here it's used Christmas trees.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC